Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool MFT

Festool MFT

I never really understood the MFT until a Festool demo at our woodworking club several months ago given by the regional Festool rep. After that I understood its capabilities but didn't really see how it fit into my shop. Last weekend I went to a Festool breakfast/demo at our local Woodcraft. The same rep demo'd several of the new Festool items, but one of the store employees demo'd the MFT and talked about how he uses it in his own shop.

I bought one. Or I should say I ordered one as another guy at the event also saw the light and bought the one they had in stock before me. I got mine Wednesday.

I used it this weekend making cabinet boxes and shelves.

I'm really mad at myself for not buying it 3 years ago!

Matt:

How did you find room, did it replace another table?
    Go Mountianeers

No, I need to figure out a better place for it--right now its in front of some other stuff. The nice thing is that it does fold up if/when I want that floor space back for another project.

Matt,
    Can you explain some of the benefits you see in the MFT? They interest me, but, like you at first, I don't really understand their potential. I've thought before about building an assembly table (torsion box style) with holes drilled in the top. Somehow though, I think there is more to the MFT than that, but I don't fully understand its uses. I have a friend that has one and he really likes his as well.

Mike

I am in the same boat with Mike on not understanding the potential of the table. I am in Northern Kentucky but have access to both a Rockler and Woodcraft fifteen minutes north in Cincinnati. Perhaps I should read some of the e-mail from Woodcraft after all. They just seem much more costly than Rockler in this area.

The big thing for me was accurate and repeatable cross cuts. The capacity is over 24" as shipped but I also learned it can be used with a longer rail across the table for 48" which I didn't do.

But after getting it home it also just works great as a table. Will be even better once I get some of the quick clamps and clamping elements.

We have several - only disapointment here is that the older version and the newer are not the same height.
    They fold up compact to go on site or can be stored on edge without falling over.
    The rail / cross cut function comes on and off easily and its very precise as Matt mentioned
    The Festool clamps fit thru the holes in the top to clamp anything down including the kappex.
    The #1 systaner box is the same height as the Kappex cutting surface when both are on the table
    They have clamp slots for working on edge
    They clamp together to make a table twice as big - if you have two.
    There is adjustment on the leg for unever surfaces.
    Depending on your band saw height it works great as a aigner type extension for radius and big work.
    Its EXACTLY the height of the aggazani 24 -24 on the mobile base.
    Pricey as all festools are but well thought out - knowing the green guys, I'm sure I'm missing a few more features
    Glenn

I've had both, the 1080 and now have the MFT 3. I'd say the only real reason to spend the cash on one is if you have a definite need for a lot of long accurate 90 degree cross cuts - say, like when building cabinets or shelving onsite.

And that need would be further qualified as specifically cutting high-problem sheet goods, like melamine, or high-dollar veneers, etc. that are very difficult if not impossible to get good perfect cuts with when using any other method...

Yes - it's a great work table and clamping surface, but I always chuckle when the guys at FOG reccomend it or many of them for a shop when the cross-cutting need is not the main objective. I mean, who needs a $600 wobbly work table right?

Cause it's not like they are super sturdy or stable. Certainly not a whole lot of use for handplaning or hammering.

Hard to do crosscutting of wide boards accurately onsite with other methods, so they shine for that use.

I will say don't bother with the 1080, the MFT3 is lighter and taller and more importantly, the fence is better built and easier to install and remove.

Julian

The wobble is a definite issue in my opinion but they do at least acknowledge that on the MFT/3 and sell, at extra cost of course, a set of braces. I'll probably end up buying them.

Even in my shop, I think its the best wide-board crosscutting method I've got by far. A TS sled is limited to some extent, and a large one becomes unweildy, especially with an correspondingly large panel. A square and Festool rails can be used, but the prefinished ply is pretty slippery and its not hard to knock that out of alignment, even if clamping--putting on the clamps can do it. And since most of my cabinet parts were over the limits of the parallel guides in at least one dimension, there was no repeatability beyond measuring.

I've had a MFT for about 4 years, I used it for crosscutting, but I like it best for holding workpieces and jigs. Works well for glue ups on odd shaped pieces also. I got tired of folding it up when I needed space so I converted it into a rolling assembly/workstation that has storage underneath. I've sanded the top smooth a few times, next time its full of glue and scars I will flip it. Its very versatile, and the top is surprisingly rugged.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    ..The big thing for me was accurate and repeatable cross cuts..
    Precise cross cuts are very important for cutting sheet goods to make cabinets. But the MFT takes a lot of room to store, costs a lot, and isn't big enough to handle a 4'x8' sheet. Instead of a MFT, I made what's essentially a 4'x4' Speed-square. I tuned it until it is the most precise 90 degree angle in my shop. I put a measuring tape on it, like on a tablesaw rail. It gives accurate repeatable 90.00 degree cross cuts. It stores easily. It cost lots less than an MFT.

I'm starting to get the festool bug. and my credit cards are just about paid off.

Using a $600+ wobbly work table mostly for clamping and glueups seems like a poor allocation of tool funds to me...

Maybe I've yet to see the light, cause I HAVE the MFT and had the earlier version and am still thinking of getting rid of it as it's cost vs. value proposition still seems a bit out of wack....

Might need a $500 Festool class to see the light.

JT

I like my MFT1080, especially as a work holding surface for doing things like dominos or strange glue ups. I particularly like the ratcheting quick clamps--they are surprisingly strong. So much so that I bought some similar clamps from Bessey, only to be very disappointed. Also look into the Qwas dogs and the Qwas rail dogs--I find those handy too. I think Bob Marino sells those.

I have an MFT. I purchased it in 2004, so perhaps it's the 1080. Mine is not wobbly at all. When working a job onsite (as I was back then) it was awesome. I used it as scaffolding quite a bit. I built a step stool 1/2 the height of the MFT, attached it to the MFT, and in 2 steps, I was tall enough to work on the ceiling. I haven't used mine in a while, but I wouldn't get rid of it. It's a great temp work surface and folds up nicely and out of the way.