Thread: Easy Wood Tools?

Easy Wood Tools?

Yesterday I attended a demo on the Easy Wood Tools, and got to meet Craig Jackson who manufactures the tools. I was impressed with what I saw and would like to have a set, however they are priced out of my range for now. Do any of you out there own/use these tools. Do you like/not like them. What are your opinions both pro and con. Thanks.
    'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'

Tim, there are many threads on the creek regarding the Easy Wood tools that might be helpful to you, including this one started just yesterday - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...s-Do-They-Work

Thanks John, I obviously had not see the previous thread.
    'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'

I have a set and they work great, but not any better than the set of cutters I got from Captain Eddie at a fraction of the price. He also has the bars if you don't want to make your own, but its easy to drill and tap a bar to hold the cutters.
    Search Captain Eddie on you tube for his info.

I bought my first EWT at Woodcraft, and made the other two I have. Square steel stock from Lowes, carbide cutters are available from mutiple sources, and make a handle. I bought my square cutters with radius faces from the link below. The cutter is half way down the page, and I copy and pasted the item description for you. They are sold in boxes of 10 (2.61ea x 10 = $26.10 + shipping) which should last you for years. I posted some previously posted pics of the one I made with a round cutter using Corian for the handle. Cost per tool made is under $10.

http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/...ml#ick151525r8

For "Byrd" Shelix ® Journal (Helical) Heads -- 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm - 4-edge - Radius Faces
    100mm face radius - 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm. Fits "Byrd" Shelix ® Heads - Byrd Ref. P/N 1791212 (Priced per knife, sold in boxes of 10.) Knives marked with 'BT'
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree with making your own. I am very new to turning, and previously had no metal-working experience. I successfully made a few of my own.

IMG_3056.JPG

IMG_3063.JPG

I've bought cutters from Global Tooling (They now have a line specifically for wood turning), Knots and Burls, Captain Eddie, and Ebay.

Another thumbs up for make your own. Some crafts go hand in hand like metalworking anf wood working.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Great handles Kevin! Where are the round inserts from (the link you gave is to square ones, with a radius)?

Beautiful tools Kevin!

Have you, or anyone you know, explored the effects the various edge preps on carbide inserts have when used for wood turning? I found that cutters for metal have a variety of grinds on the cutting edges, most of which involve a small radius to prevent chipping. I found a PDF from ANSI that helps explain the nomenclature used for carbide inserts that might be of some use. Paste this long string into your browser and it will take you to the document:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55534169,d.aWM

I'd like to make a few tools to compare to my rack of HHS stuff, but I'm still trying to decide on inserts.