Thread: New WW School in Champaign IL

New WW School in Champaign IL

Upfront disclaimer: I count Mike as a good friend and am proud of the way he has overcome the adversity of the last few years. And yes he has asked me to help by teaching a couple of courses.

That said:

Those of you within easy driving distance of Champaign IL probably already are familiar with the CU Woodshop woodworking store. Well they have decided to open a woodworking school nearby but separate from the store and Dream Shop facility. They have hired Mike VanPelt to run the school. Several of you might remember Mike from the American Sycamore Woodworking School he owned in Cloverdale IN.. He would post occasionally here on Sawmill Creek to answer questions. The tough economy and other events forced Mike to close the school some time back but he has landed on his feet in Champaign at the CU Woodshop.

The CU Woodshop School had their Grand Opening Open House yesterday. Mike has set up a beautiful facility. While it may lack the picturesque setting of his old school it makes up for it with more room and a fully equipped facility. There are Sawstop saws, General 24" wide planers and sanders, 8" Jointers, drill presses, bandsaws, Festool miter saws, sanders and guided circular saws. There is even a tool sharpening station. It is all hooked up with dust collection. It is also air conditioned for year round use. Having the Rockler affiliated CU Woodshop nearby is also a good thing for the students (but probably not good for their wallets). There are 8 completely outfitted workstations with assembly tables and a bench. Each station has clamps and basic handtools supplied and hanging on the wall.

If you are thinking of taking a woodworking class you owe it to yourself to check out the CU Woodshop School. Mike is working hard to build the list of classes offered and would appreciate any suggestions you might have regarding classes you would like to see offered and when (weekday, weekends, evenings). CU Woodshop has a web site that has a link to the school's offerings.

Happy Woodworking,

Mac
    Mac

I was the guy in the motorcycle jacket Mac that rode down on my Vmax. It was nice to talk to you yesterday.

Scott Box's son was there demoing the General Internatioal stuff. That 24" planer with the helical head was sweet.

The school's shop is very nice and also features a full complilment of Festool and Kreg products. Looks like it is stocked with eveything the Rockler store they own has for sale or available. The plane stash was all woodcraft planes I noticed - no LN or Veritas. I think they want students to walk over and buy tools from the store after using them in school which is a cool business plan.

Interesting the school is a seperate business - keeps the owners (except for a select few) in the Dream shop/Rockler collective out of those profits I guess.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I remember you Mike. Yes it was nice to talk woodworking Saturday with you and everybody that came through. I don't know the actual business setup all I was trying to say is that it is in a separate building, not a part of the Dream Shop setup they have.You are right about stocking it with tools from their store as it only makes sense to try and sell what they have. However they told me as an instructor I am not limited to using what they have. In fact if there is something I need in class with a little notice they will try to get it in for the class. The planes are Wood River and look to be really nice. I have read about them and they seem to compare favorably in the plane evaluations.

Hope to see you at the school again in the future.

Mac
    Mac