Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchroom pix as requested

Benchroom pix as requested

Benchroom1.jpgBenchroom2.jpgHere are pictures of the sothern end of my benchroom taken from the north end. The red plastic tablecloth is covering the top of my assembly bench for dirty paint and stain operations. The assembly bench is what was my old 28" x 72" bench before I built the new one. The curtains are necessary to cut the extreme glare of the south facing windows.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 09-23-2012 at 4:16 PM.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    That looks sooo nice, your a lucky man.

Well,I can't tell if that is your workshop or your DEN!!

That stove looks like the "Williamsburg" stove that was put out decades ago. I was there when the stove people were in the Anthony Hay Cabinet Shop looking at furniture details.

I have,by accident,that same stove at home. Got the last one in a friend's stove store at a discount. I must say,I never could figure out WHY the designers made the body have curved surfaces on that stove,though,or what the curves have to do with the 18th.C.. They also stretched the ogee to an extreme under the top. I loved the smooth,polished porcelain enameled stoves he sold,but I think they were extremely expensive at the time for me.

Be that as it may,We have been rescued from long blackouts several times since getting it,and I will never be without one in my fireplace. We were even able to effectively cook on its top during one 9 day outage.

Can you ask whoever keeps your shop in such immaculate,well organized order to come down here and re do my shop??
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-23-2012 at 5:08 PM.

Very sweet workroom!!!

As much as I like having a separate shop, I REALLLLLLLY want a room in my house just to do only handtool work in and not have any other the other shop stuff around me, like lawnmowers, bikes, rubbermaids, mechanics tools, jacks, compressor, etc, etc...

I am always more inspired when I am in a "woodworking only" shop than I am when I have to constantly stare at all the other stuff either needing to be done as well or simply cluttering up space...

Actually George the stove is a Jotul #3 and is a standard stoveblack cast iron finish. Like you though it has served well during multi-day power outages when we had no heat or any water except for our emergency supply. I cook on it, make coffee with and old fashioned percolator coffee pot, and add humidity to the air in the winter with an open topped pot filled with water. Rural living with a 380 ft well does have occasional challenges. As for the cleanliness, note that I did not show any photos from the south end looking north.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Very nice shop, love the stove also. When I was a kid, every shop I was in, whether it was a woodworking shop, a garage for someone working on their antique cars or a farm shop, all of them had woodstoves.

I guess at the time that was thanks to the price of oil and the thrift of the depression generation. Haven't seen one in a shop out here in quite a while, we're all on natural gas, I guess. Nobody wants to cut wood and I don't remember the last time I heard someone say they heat with coal, except a couple of amish and mennonites near home.

I have a #8,but from a distance it looks like yours. Did they make the Wmsbg. model in different sizes? This is ancient history to me by now.

Hi Dave,

Great shop. Do you keep any tools in the tool chest or is everything on racks on the walls?

Thanks for posting the pics.

Kevin

If my shop looked like that I don't think I'd ever leave. I especially like the glass of wine you keep on the workbench .

My biggest problem is that I have been such a TOOL PIG,I just have way too much stuff. Never thought I'd fill a 30'X40' + 16'X22' workshop,PLUS a basement.

Awesome bench, Dave... I'm a fellow left and mine is layed out a lot like yours, except my end vise is matched with my L-N twin-screw and the inset vise is in the "right hand" position for when my Son comes to work with me as well as the versatility it provides.

Mine isn't nearly as nice as yours though, being made of ripped and laminated 2x4 stock and setting on a castered Adjust-a-Bench base. Some day I'll replace the top and add a dead-man.

You've really inspired me. Thank you!

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Thank you Dave, you have what I want to create, a cozy area to be creative. I am looking for a wood stove before the winter starts.
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

Like George, I'm a bit of a tool pig Kevin. Fortunately though both of the tool chests were inherited and they are both near full. The lighter colored on holds my second half set of hollows and rounds, a few overflow planes, plane floats, huge rasps 18" long and a bunch of other stuff I don't use regularly. Since I insulated the hot and cold pipes to the oil burner to prevent condensation, the wood stove is a necessity in the winter.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

The concept of benchroom is new to me. By looking at the picture, I immediately know what it means. I showed this to my wife. She said she want a sewing table right about where your assembly table is. That way we can do handwork together. I love the idea.

Thank you for the picture. You are a genius.

+1 on the previous comments.

And I'll add that the pine paneled tool wall is gorgeous!