Thread: Lathe stand

Lathe stand

I bought a used lathe this weekend, and plan to build a better stand for it.

My first thought was to build a saw bench type stand, with angled legs, like this:
    Saw-Bench-Finished-300x225.jpg

The angled legs should stabilize the lathe. I don't believe you need to make it that heavy if you make the legs angled. I'm thinking of adding a shelf below (like on the saw bench picture), and maybe a few drawers.

After some seaching on google, I found this stand:

drawer29.jpg

Found on this URL:
    http://www.owdman.co.uk/howto/howto2.htm

The author writes: "I would highly recommend this design for a lathe as it is very solid and stable. It also gives plenty of foot room".

That's what I think as well.

Have anyone else built a stand like this?

Edit: I found this stand built using similar ideas:
    http:// forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?13138-Lathe-Stand&p=97934#post97934
    Last edited by John Keeton; 09-26-2012 at 6:11 AM. Reason: To remove link to forum per TOS

I think the flaired legs will make it hard to get into the lathe..you will be bending akwardly, if you add a shelf.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

A flared leg design is what Jet/Powermatic, etc cast into their steel. Hold the front edge of the lower shelf back a little if needed. The lower shelf allows space for ballast when needed (sandbags) for a badly unbalanced piece. Several people have built boxes filled with sand for the lower shelf. The upper shelf allow for too storage but catches a lot of shavings so the split design lets most drop to the ground, though the solid top would do much the same anyway.

Personally, I have found that a workbench with adequate drawers and tool racks, placed so that it is behind me while turning works the best.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

To much stuff in the way. Plus it all going to catch dust an shavings
    Last edited by David Dobbs; 09-24-2012 at 9:30 AM.

I don't think there's too much stuff in the way.. At least not in the second picture. I will make something without a shelf to begin with, and add one later if I need one. I might add some drawers under the bench top, but nothing that will interfere with my feet.. :-)

Yesterday, I found another similar stand, made by Derek Cohen:
    AStandformyJetMiniLathe_html_m698e7c99.jpg

More information can be found at:
    http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...MiniLathe.html

I've bought some wood, and have cut the pieces yesterday. I will glue the top today or tomorrow. I'll post a few photos when I'm finished.

You asked, I just call it how I see it. The last pic move the leg out to the left 8 to 10 inches. Plus put a knee brace in each end.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dobbs View Post
    You asked, I just call it how I see it. The last pic move the leg out to the left 8 to 10 inches. Plus put a knee brace in each end.
    I now see what you mean. Thanks. I'm almost finished now, but I plan to mount the lathe more to the right to make sure there's nothing in the way of my feet.