Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

24 Sep 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
    Wow...the weather has been GREAT here and I've been working at the day job too much to really enjoy it much. The good thing is....I got to spend Saturday working with the LOML in our yard and we even got the time to sit on the front porch, drink a cold glass of sweet tea, and watch all the animals play in the yard and trees. It's almost like everyone (even the animals) are really enjoying the fresh vegetation from the previous rains (since we've been in an extreme drought for so long) and add that to the cooler temps and it's as if the whole world has come alive again.!!!
    It was bass guitar playing at church yesterday, then visit with friends for a bit and then retire from an exhausting weekend.

BTW, if anybody here knows how to play or about Mandolin's..? I'd like tips and pointers about choosing one as well as playing one. I want to learn how to play one (I think). Remember, I am a bass guitar player and I know the basics of playing acoustic guitar as well. I know some on the piano, but I would never call myself a piano player of any sort. My long time passion has been the bass guitar and I still want to learn even more about bass playing....but I really think I would like to play the Mandolin.

Well, that's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend?
    Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Party for wife's birthday Saturday and replaced the hot water heater Sunday.

I took a vacation day on Friday and worked a very long day on the kitchen, spraying some parts, cutting upper box parts and assembling most of the upper boxes. Saturday we went to Ken Craft and picked up crown molding and special ordered a base molding for the bottom of the cabinets. I spent the rest of the day (actually until about 12:30AM in the shop finishing up the rest of the upper boxes, cutting toekicks and some other trim parts, spraying them with the shellac base coat, and making all the shelves for the upper cabinets. When I came in, everything was done save for spraying Endurovar on the parts I sprayed with shellac which I need to do some time this week or next.

Sunday I cleaned up a little in the shop (those prefinished ply scraps piled on the floor are really slippery) then cut the lawn before going to my parents' for our weekly dinner. In the evening I disconnected the electrical to a wall we are removing. I need to make a template for the curved counter area, then cabinet removal and rebuilding a partial wall in that area will begin. Major tearout is scheduled for a week from today and the new cabinets go in 2 weeks from Friday. In the interim, there's some minor drywall patching, minor electrical, minor plumbing, painting, and flooring work to be done.

4. Saturday; Hung out at Harley shop. Looked at shelf project.

Sunday biked to Bugtussel, KY (As in Beverly Hillbillys).

Will likely take a "Vacation" day today to recover from all this. Maybe I'll look at shelf project again. Can do this since I'm retired and CAN.

Got cranking on my new router table. Got lots of great suggestions from fellow Creekers. Cut a sheet of birch plywood down to size for the case. Thought to myself "boy, getting a sliding table saw like the Creekers suggested is a GREAT idea." Now I just have to order one.

Still have a lot of work to do but it was a fun weekend getting started on this puppy!

IMG_0373.jpg

Saturday morning went to my WW meeting and did NOT like the results... Oh well, another week. Went to see a friend's band play in Kemah Texas for a fund raiser for a local single mother with AML (some kind of Leukemia, not sure exactly what the initials mean...). Hung out with a good friend of mine from college and shot the breeze for a while... And then went home, did some testing and discovered the radiator fan on my Saturn had died, again... Just out of warranty on the one I put in a little over a year ago... Infuriating...

I spent a little time cleaning the shop up, and moving yet more stuff to the left side. I need to start ripping sheet rock down, NOW...

Spent some time trying to figure out a winch mount for my truck. These things are far from as simple as they once were...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Spent the weekend modifying my reloading bench for my new Dillon press. Spent the rest of the weekend figuring out how to use it and make some practice loads.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    more work on the shop remodel. Cyclone made it to the adjacent room last weekend. This weekend I cut a hole in the adjoining wall where the ducting will enter the shop and almost have the 30A circuit installed to power the cyclone. Not much progress, but a step closer.

Blog Entries
    Dog park Satuday then prepped stock for applied drawer fronts. Sunday at the dog park, I broke up a fight from a dog attacking mine and wrenched my back. Slow going for the rest of the day, especially when I found a made a small mistake earlier in my project. I can fix it but i requires a bit of rework. Frustrating! Luckily, my back is better today.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"