Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advise on Brace Bits Needed

Blog Entries
    A Russell Jennings set 100 (13 bits in the three tier box) just were sold on eBay for $335. Yes, I typed Three Hundred-Thirty-Five. It was a perfect like-new set still in the original cardboard box. Probably NOS. (my guess, not the description)

Even so, a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dalzell View Post
    I just bought a Stanley 923-10 brace on e-bay. Today, so I haven't recieved it yet. It now occurs to me that I need some bits (augers?) to go with the brace. I have never used a brace so I don't know what type of bits to get. On e-bay I see a lot of "IRWIN" auger bits. They mostly have truncated pyramid square ends. Is this the style of bits/augers I need? If not, then what do I need? Also, any thoughts or comments on IRWIN or other brands? Any help is appreciated.
    First, congratulations on your find. As others have noted, the Stanley 923 series are good drills.

Second, there's a lot of good advice here. In particular note what Jim says in this thread and in the old one that's linked in his post. I learned a lot about Neanderdrills and bits -- quickly -- by paying attention to him.

Third, some of my own observations. I agree that the condition of the screw is key. If it's worn or mangled, the bit won't work no matter what you do to it. Also, get an auger file and look to Jim's post to learn how to use it. You'll need it because dull bits are frustrating. As for the various types of auger bits, note that "Irwin" indicates a particular manufacturer, but it also indicates a particular bit design or pattern. Lots of other companies made Irwin pattern bits. Same with Russell Jennings. There are also a few other, less common patters of auger bits you might find. A while back, I came across a Ransom Cook that looks something like a Russell Jennings but with no spurs. And you'll sometimes see bits that look like Irwin pattern except the spurs extend both above and below the cutting edge; I don't know what those are called. Finally -- check out a few other types of bits in addition to augers. You can easily loosen a lot of stuck screws with a brace and screwdriver bit because you can get so much torque with the brace. I also like gimlet bits. They're noted for being good for drilling pilot holes and for leaving a relatively clean exit hole, but I use them for a lot of things, maybe just because I like things that are a little off the beaten path. Note that you need small, round files to sharpen them -- one of Jim's pieces of advice that I followed was to use chainsaw files.

Oh, and one other thing that someone else might have already mentioned -- A lot of the bits you find in the wild or on eBay are bent. Some badly. Especially the smaller diameters, for obvious reasons. The quick way to check is to roll them on a table top and see if the square shank goes up and down as it rolls. For some purposes, there's nothing wrong with a slightly bent bit, but I avoid them anyway.
    Last edited by Michael Ray Smith; 10-17-2012 at 2:26 PM.
    Michael Ray Smith