Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water based aniline dye.

Water based aniline dye.

I have used water based aniline dye on many projects over the years and have always been satisfied with the results on most woods. While mixing the dye I have never had a formula but rather just start with boiling water and then added the dye(s) until I was satisfied with the color. I am ready to begin finishing a blanket chest that I just completed building and would like have a duplicatable formula that I could mix up for other furniture that I might build later on.

Question: Is there a prescribed starting point when mixing aniline dye? For example, how much dye should be used for one pint of hot water?
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Blog Entries
    I've not used water based dye but do use denatured alcohol. I went to the dollar store and bought a glass measuring cup and some measuring spoons. I mix a little at a time and note the ratio until I get the color I want. It is then easy enough to scale it up. I would think the same process would work with water based.

Thanks Jim. What I was really looking for was the starting point or mfg. recommended amount of dye per pint or quart of water/alcohol. As an example 1 pt. water 2 tsp dye.

I would think that the mfg. would have some such recommendation. I really have looked but thus far I have come up empty handed.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

I always 'ballpark it' like you do.

if you have access to spray equipment - even cheap spray equipment - like the no-name HF/Woodcraft/Rockler version I have - i would highly recommend trying yr hand at spray dyeing (diluted in ethanol). It gives you so much control, you can mix up your dye highly diluted, then just keep spraying more coats until you have the depth you want. This also results in no lap marks, and a very even application. Also, as you apply each coat, it's easy to adjust with a 'drop' of red, green, black, or amber depending on how your tone is developing.

My point is, spraying it makes the process so dynamic, you don't need anything but a rough idea of where you're heading.

Also, why do you boil the water? I have not found need to do that. Does it make the powder dyes dissolve more evenly?

Thanks Prashun, maybe I am destined to continue on with my haphazard way of doing this. I have powdered dye but the principle is the same. I practice on scrap until I get the color I want and then wipe it on with a rag. Still I can't help but think that there must be a starting point; i.e., 1 pt. water, 2 tsp. dye. Heck it might even be 2 T dye for all I know. I am mixing two colors which makes it even more difficult. If I just knew what the right starting point was I could mix the main color quickly and then just add a little of the secondary color until I reached the color I wanted.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I have a friend who uses a similar system with the water type. To mix colors he weighs out tiny amounts of powder with water and tests and records results. When he perfects the color he just measures the amounts he needs .Keeps color samples too .He was the foreman in a cabinet shop that only used oil stains. They were always redoing the finishes and "toning". I used to try to get him to at least try aniline. No , Mel, Nobody uses that old fashioned stuff anymore....When he started his own shop and was doing his own finishing he tried aniline and has never looked back ,or had to do toning or refinishing. The domination of the stain market by the oil stuff amazes me. By marketing oil as easy to use they have driven out a superior product that is easier to use. Subtlety and clarity in color has largely been replaced by what I call "used motor oil brown " and "burnt transmission fluid red".

The recommended starting ratio is usually 1 oz per quart of water.

John

Thanks John, that helps. I just read the staining section of Flexners book and he said that each manufacturer has a suggested ratio that will achieve the color that they advertise. I am going to try once again to find the manufacturer of my dye.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Ok, I found it. The recommended amount is 1 oz. to 1 pint of water. Mix at a temperature of 150 degrees and then cool before using. If you don't have a scale then one level tablespoon is approximately 1 oz. this will make a deep shade of the color you are mixing. If you want it lighter you may add water.

For larger amounts you can mix two quarts by using 1/4 lb. of dye.
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 09-25-2012 at 4:15 PM.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Here's the thing, though. Dye, having no binder (vis-a-vis pigment stains) can be applied and reapplied. If you allow the water to dry between each coat, you'll essentially be putting down more and more dye, so your ratio changes.

Yes, you can try the mfg's suggested ratio, but if you apply 2 coats, you'll double the intensity. So, unless you need to do just one coat, then I'm not sure I see the benefit in using the mfg's suggestion (within reason). In fact, IMHO, the mfgs of Transtint overstate (for my taste) how much you need.

Much more critical imho is getting right the relative ratios of two different dyes if u are mixing. To that end, it the mfg's suggested ratio (which is probably the same for every color they make) is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Here's the thing, though. Dye, having no binder (vis-a-vis pigment stains) can be applied and reapplied. If you allow the water to dry between each coat, you'll essentially be putting down more and more dye, so your ratio changes.

Yes, you can try the mfg's suggested ratio, but if you apply 2 coats, you'll double the intensity. So, unless you need to do just one coat, then I'm not sure I see the benefit in using the mfg's suggestion (within reason). In fact, IMHO, the mfgs of Transtint overstate (for my taste) how much you need.

Much more critical imho is getting right the relative ratios of two different dyes if u are mixing. To that end, it the mfg's suggested ratio (which is probably the same for every color they make) is moot.
    I agree with what you said Prashun; however, unless you know what the recommendation is to start with you don't know where to start modifying it. If I find that 1 oz. of dye to 1 pint of water is too dark, then I could cut that by some set amount and achieve a repeatable result. My problem was that I did not know whether it was a tablespoon or a teaspoon, etc. With what I learned I can now go forward and create a formula that I can repeat for subsequent projects.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon, The only standards in the industry for dye concentration are arbitrary to the type and end use. That said, many books have been written on this including my soon to be book "The Formulary". In the case of the home owner, hobbiest, etc., Let me say that you know best as individuals what you prefer as to an end color as pertains to lightness or darkness of said colors. If most of your colors are light in nature, [meaning weak] then you would be better off using a 1 oz. to a gallon mix. If most are dark to very dark, then an 8 or 16 oz. to a gallon will more than suffice. My standard lab mix is 4 oz. to a gallon of which i normally had to cut quite a bit for lighter colors for example. Light amber tones can be done with as little as 1/8 oz. per gallon or even less, for another example.
    In all, There is just to much to know and understand to write on a blog, but keep this in mind when deciding on what your trying to accomplish ok?

Sam / Chemmy
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by sheldon pettit View Post
    Hi Gordon, The only standards in the industry for dye concentration are arbitrary to the type and end use. That said, many books have been written on this including my soon to be book "The Formulary". In the case of the home owner, hobbiest, etc., Let me say that you know best as individuals what you prefer as to an end color as pertains to lightness or darkness of said colors. If most of your colors are light in nature, [meaning weak] then you would be better off using a 1 oz. to a gallon mix. If most are dark to very dark, then an 8 or 16 oz. to a gallon will more than suffice. My standard lab mix is 4 oz. to a gallon of which i normally had to cut quite a bit for lighter colors for example. Light amber tones can be done with as little as 1/8 oz. per gallon or even less, for another example.
    In all, There is just to much to know and understand to write on a blog, but keep this in mind when deciding on what your trying to accomplish ok?

Sam / Chemmy
    Good input, thanks for suggestion. I may start with 1/2 oz per pint and see what I think. Adding or subtracting from that point will be easy to do.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Also keep in mind that all colors such as medium walnut or red mahogany etc., are just mixtures of the three primaries [red/blue/yellow] your much better off making your own walnut or other colors as they do and offer. Just make sure to get a pure red/blue/yellow ok?
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

Gordon, my starting point varies by color. For amber and brown I used to start with 2 to 4 pct. For brighter colors yellow, green, red, lue, I doubled that. For black, I use even more.