Thread: Blower acquired. Help

Blower acquired. Help

I acquired a used,
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...2&Catalog=main
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Blower-7AT83
    what can I use it for in the shop? move lots of air until there is a bit of static pressure

any ideas?
    Last edited by phil harold; 09-25-2012 at 7:07 PM.
    Carpe Lignum

You could make an air cleaner with it.

Radial blade blowers like those are made to move product other than just air. Like wood chips for instance.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Blog Entries
    A downdraft sanding table.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

That's one heckuva nice blower, Phil!

When selecting how you are going to use it, note from the second link the CFM @ SP listings.

At 1.5" you get 1252 cfm but
    At 2" it drops to 166 cfm.

Whatever you use it for, you must have very low static pressure drop. A well-engineered (mostly open) downdraft table would be a good match, as long as you discharge it outside rather than putting filters on it (even good seasoned filters will give you a couple inches of drop). It'd be great as an air mover in the house or shop on a hot day or for blowing make-up air into your shop when you were going to spray finishes (not as an exhaust fan in that service, unless it's all water bourne).

Nice find!!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Remember that the CFM figures shown are for the outlet (blower), not inlet (suction.)

As others have said the blower moves a lot of air at low pressure but is basically the same configuration as a dust collector blower. A smaller inlet, 3600 rpm 3 hp motor and it would serve with a cyclone. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Remember that the CFM figures shown are for the outlet (blower), not inlet (suction.)
    so I can have more static pressure at which end?
    or static vacuum on the suction side?

Other thought was to use when the wood lathe is in operation...
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    so I can have more static pressure at which end?
    or static vacuum on the suction side?

Other thought was to use when the wood lathe is in operation...
    The numbers look like outlet SP numbers but it doesn't really matter. Think of it like the fan will overcome 1.5"wg of SP whether all of the losses are on the inlet or all on the outlet. This appears to be a direct drive blower. If you spin it faster with a different RPM motor, it will take siginificantly more HP. If you double the speed, it will take 8x HP (fan laws). This blower will work best in low pressure applications. The lathe is a good idea. Use this blower to push the chips toward your DC hood, a push/pull system.

Instead of trying to find a problem for your solution, sessSell it on Ebay and get something you actually want or need.