Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency stop

Mike, check out his thread. I ended up mounting the PVC box to a block of wood that had Rare Earth magnets monted in it. I worked great. Powermatic and Oneway both offer a remote start/stop that is installed in additon to the regular controls but they do not offer speed control. I have the Oneway on my lathe, if you want to see it.

Dale

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Mod&highlight=
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Thanks, Dale. Good advice in that thread. I like the wood idea. Probably would be easier on the paint on the lathe...
    I drink, therefore I am.

For an emergency switch you may want to consider this one. Similar to the ones Tim mentioned but maybe heavier duty (2hp, 35 amps on 110 or 3 hp, 20 amps on 220).
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/110-...f-Switch/H8243
    I mounted mine fixed to the lathe.... if it is an emergency I don't want to have to remember where I stuck it with magnets the last time.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Something to consider: some (most?) of the VFDs have settings for the adjustment of the speed at which the motor slows to a stop. If you kill the power to the VFD, the motor will not be under power but it will take longer to stop than if the VFD told it to stop. Does this make sense? I figured it out when I put a cheapy kill switch on my 1642. I can cut the power but it takes forever for the piece to stop spinning compared to using the stock switch. I need to do the upgrade like Nate did, but I never seem to make the time.

Greg

Greg

Don't VFDs have a slot for the E-stop? If so, I would imagine that if you hook it up to there, it will still do a braking stop...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike,

I have no idea, I have never had mine open to look at it! My cheap kill switch is all external of the lathe and just cuts power to the entire lathe. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the situation. Turns out you are much more aware than I am! (that happens to me a lot)

Which VFD is on your lathe? I put a switch http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...inated/GCX1136 , contact block http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...ocks/ECX1030-2 and enclosure http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...osures/SA101SL on my Powermatic lathe and wired it in series with the stop switch already on the lathe. It works great. I added a couple of rare earth magnets on the back of the enclosure so the switch can be located almost anywhere. Your particular VFD manual will have a diagram so you can wire it properly.

Larry

Oh, don't go giving me credit where credit isn't due! I was thinking that MIGHT be the case... I certainly appreciate your caution. I wouldn't have thought about it had you not brought it up...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Hehe, Larry, you're a man after my own heart. Thanks for the links. That makes things SO much easier than get a button and a box from that place on the net...you know the place... I'll have to look at the VFD to see what it can and can't do. In the past, I've only used FM-50s. But this time I got cheap and got something off Ebay. Hope it works out okay. If not, I'll just count it as a loss...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike,
    Most VFDs use 12V or 24V (at a very low current) for triggers to control the on/off, etc. A 110V foot switch could work just fine for an e-stop since it acts like a single contact. You may need to enable the e-stop function via the VFD panel settings (probably change "ON" from 0 to 1) so that the VFD knows to expect voltage at the e-stop input.

I have an e-stop, a fwd/off/rev, and a speed pot in one magnetic controller box. I know it seems like the fwd/off/rev and e-stop are redundant. I usually turn both to off. It makes me think about my speed setting before turning both back on...

PM me if you need help!
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 10-01-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks, Dick. That combo is exactly what I'll be having on my remote switch, which consequently, will be my only set of controls. No need for redundancy. Speaking of redundancy, I don't think your E-stop and fwd/stop/reverse are redundant at all. I read the manual on my VFD and IIRC, I cannot turn the lathe on and off with the E-stop. Once the E-stop is pushed, the fwd/stop/rev switch needs to be put back into the OFF position before the lathe can resume spinning. So, for me, the E-stop will be just that...an emergency stop. It will also, however, be there in close proximity for when I'm hollowing and want to turn the lathe off without removing my hands from my tools if I feel more comfortable hip checking the E-stop than removing one hand from my hollowing tool to turn the switch to OFF.

Thanks again, Dick (and everyone else) for all you input. This has really helped shape the outcome of my set up!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike,
    I didn't explain my setup quite right because I couldn't remember how I wired it when I responded. Let me start again...

I bring 12V to one side of the start/stop mushroom contact block. When the contact is made at the start/stop, it provides power to both contacts for the for/rev switch. Only one contact can be closed at a time on the for/rev switch, there is no issue with 12V being applied to one side of both contacts. They are wired in series so both contacts (either start+for or start+rev) must be on before the trigger signal starts the motor. In your case, I'd wire the foot pedal switch in series with the for/rev contacts so that both have to be active to start the motor unless you feel you really want the e-stop option.

FYI-I'm using 7-conductor "sprinkler" wire for my remotes where the speed pot takes 3 conductors, the for/rev each take one, one for ground, and one for 12V supply to the remote.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 10-02-2012 at 9:59 AM.

Question for Alan Trout

Most VFD's have a logic input for a coast stop which is what most woodturning lathes call Emergency stop. The switch operation could be either momentary contact or toggle on-off. Once the switch is actuated, the lathe will not restart until either FWD or REV is actuated AND the coast stop is not actuated. For obvious fail-safe reasons, coast stop (EMERGENCY STOP) is open contacts on the switch.

Alan Trout:

Is the foot switch on your lathe set up to operate as a dead-man switch? Also, does it coast or ramp down? I am thinking about possibly retrofitting my older Robust with a foot switch. I like the idea of using it when hollowing with my long Steve Sinner rig where I may not be very close to the pendant controls or need to make frequent stops.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    I'm putting together a lathe, and am considering adding an EMERGENY STOP button. Anyone have any recommendations on one? Thanks.
    Mike - What kind of lathe are you putting together? Did you sell your PM90?

No, Roy, the PM90 still remains. It is still for sale, but I'm not giving it away! At the time of completion, I know I had $1200 into it (that is, that is what I was willing to admit to myself...) and since then, some more went in. I had offers at $1500, but just couldn't part with it for that. So, until/unless I get my bottom dollar, I'll keep her.

Jeff Nicol (before he took a break to catch up on his own stuff) made me a bowl lathe. I fell into a deal on some ways, so I'm modifying what Jeff made for me to fit the ways. It'll be something...special, I can assure you. When she's completed, you all WILL hear about it.
    I drink, therefore I am.