Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grinder advice

Blog Entries

Grinder advice

So all my plane blades need their primary bevel re-ground, now that I have an idea of how to sharpen and what I want... It’s been taking me forever on 80grit sandpaper (duh) and I haven't even
    started with the HSS blades... So I have decided to get a grinder, and I have a few fundamental questions:

1. 8" or 6", does it really matter?

2. should I really spend the time looking for a slow-speed model? (first scout sees non)

3. is it worth trying to find a hand cranked model? why would I want one over a power model?

Pls remember I'm in Israel not the US.

Not in my opinion - I like my 6" porter cable just fine.

2. should I really spend the time looking for a slow-speed model? (first scout sees non)

- Only if you are set on an 8 inch. On a 6 inch it doesn't matter. Mine has an adjustable speed and I only ever use the highest setting. My opinion, don't bother looking if you don't require one.

3. is it worth trying to find a hand cranked model? why would I want one over a power model?

Not to me it wasn't. That's a personal preference kind of thing.

I have a Delta and woodcraft 8 inch grinder. I have had issues with both of them. The varible speed on the Delta did not work well on mine. After a few minutes of use it would start to surge and run very hot. I disconnected the plug on the circuit board it only works on the fastest speed but it doesn't surge. It will get hot when I am using the wire wheel after about 15 minutes of use. Also, there is a design flaw with the Delta, the collar on the spindle shaft is very narrow and the washer does not seat well against it. I was going to replace the circuit board but the cheapest one I found was 81.00.

My Woodcraft is a slow speed 8 inch grinder and it does what it is suppose to do but I'm not sure about the quality of the grinder. I returned the first one I bought because it ran very hot, too hot to touch after I ground 4 chisels. The replacement grinder also runs hot after some use so I am going to assume that is normal. It works well when using it to establish a primary bevel and when it starts to get hot I shut it off.

If its all about grinding and you don't care about hollow grinding, I would suggest a 1x42" belt grinder. With a 46 grit belt, you would be surprised how fast metal is removed and how little a blade will get heated, you don't even need to dip the blade in water.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    So all my plane blades need their primary bevel re-ground, now that I have an idea of how to sharpen and what I want... It’s been taking me forever on 80grit sandpaper (duh) and I haven't even
    started with the HSS blades... So I have decided to get a grinder, and I have a few fundamental questions:

Pls remember I'm in Israel not the US.
    Just to be a smart ass, I will say "I told you so!"

If you have HSS blade, forget hand cranked one. 8" slow speed grinder is already annoyingly slow, hand cranked will be even slower. You should be able to find a grinder. If there is a mechanic near you, they should have a grinder. If they have a grinder, you can get one locally. You don't need a fancy one really. As long as one doesn't wobble too much and runs relatively smooth, you can make it work.

If I were replacing my grinder, I'd go for a high speed 6". Slow speed 8" grinder can be really slow, annoyingly slow when working on HSS (for doing serious re-grinding).

I've had no regret about buying a Baldor combination grinder and 1x42 belt sander.
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

If price is an issue, 6" is just fine. Actually, it's what I'd choose anyway, but either a slow speed 8" or a full speed 6" should work nicely.

I bought an inexpensive Ryobi and replaced the gray wheels with 3M white wheels and a Veritas grinding rest.
    I couldn't be happier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Takeuchi View Post
    Just to be a smart ass, I will say "I told you so!"

If you have HSS blade, forget hand cranked one. 8" slow speed grinder is already annoyingly slow, hand cranked will be even slower. You should be able to find a grinder. If there is a mechanic near you, they should have a grinder. If they have a grinder, you can get one locally. You don't need a fancy one really. As long as one doesn't wobble too much and runs relatively smooth, you can make it work.

If I were replacing my grinder, I'd go for a high speed 6". Slow speed 8" grinder can be really slow, annoyingly slow when working on HSS (for doing serious re-grinding).
    LOL! I was wondering if anyone would remember that... what can I say I blame it on being a newbie.. .. .. you guy's were totally right saying "but why...."

Casey, it's funny you say that because I just got another recommendation for the Ryobi on the Israeli forum, and it's reasonably priced.

I have plenty options here, just non that are low speed unless I want to spend 250$ on a knife sharpening grinder. I think it's settled then, the Ryobi 6" regular speed. don't see a point in pounding this one to death. I just need to wait for the guy to respond
    and tell me if I can take the guards off. since I only need 1 grinding wheel; I want to turn the other one into a laminated mdf buffing wheel with green compound (using it's side like in Derek's belt sander) if there is a problem doing so, please alert my under experienced attention!

To reiterate Casey's post, the grinder just rotates... the grinding wheel does the work and the accuracy of the cut is greatly assisted by having a good tool rest. IMO, get a cheap grinder and a good wheel and rest.

I upgraded one of my "standard" wheels to white 120 grit and never went back. Then I upgraded to other one to a coarse (46 grit) Norton 3X and haven't gone back to the white one. One note of clarification: I do not do any "final sharpening" (i.e. turning tools) on my grinder, as I do not have a lathe. Perhaps if I had a lathe I'd consider one white and one coarse 3X. I'll leave it to those with turning or other tools used straight from the grinder to talk about whether the white 80 grit or 120 grit is a better choice.

Forthe rest you want an adjustable height and angle, plenty of support and ideally some mass (thick metal) to serve as a heat sink to help keep the cutter cool, reducing the need to dip the blade in water for cooling.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks! I also only want it for primary hollow ground bevels, not final sharpening. I plan on replacing the stone, 80grit is the coarsest I've seen here so far, but I think I'll make some calls first.
    David Finck has a nice tool rest in his book and I plan to build something similar. heavy metal is not for me.

I'd get a 46 grit H hardness white wheel
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    Thanks! I also only want it for primary hollow ground bevels, not final sharpening. I plan on replacing the stone, 80grit is the coarsest I've seen here so far, but I think I'll make some calls first.
    David Finck has a nice tool rest in his book and I plan to build something similar. heavy metal is not for me.
    The only issue I've had with wooden tool rests, (and some of the aluminum ones that come with new grinders) is that loose grit can embed itself in the tool rest surface. It's why a lot of my narex chisels don't have the writing on the face anymore - the loose grit scratches away at the surface of the tool as you slide it back and forth. That's not really an issue, but if you've got something you want to keep smooth (like if you're grinding the profile of an iron in with the blade back on the rest, before doing the bevel, or if you're grinding something not a plane blade) those scratches can be annoying. I put some pieces of harder steel on one of my tool rests, it resists getting grit embedded in it a little better.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Hi Matthew

Given your location, budget and experience, I would go for the 6" grinder. This will have a surface speed that is similar to a half-speed 8" grinder. And if I recall correctly, Israel uses 220 v and 50 cycles, which is similar to Australia and the UK. The motor will spin slightly slower than a US version (1400 vs 1750). Use a 36/46 grit white Norton wheel, or equivalent.

Using the side of a MDF wheel for buffing (I assume that you will add a layer of leather, such as chamois, to the face) is do-able. This will run at the same speed as the disk sander.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 09-27-2012 at 7:36 PM.

A reason for the 8 inch not mentioned is the hollow grind will be wider so you will not have to sharpen them as often.
    Don