Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handy turning supplies that might surprise you.

What a great thread!

I used that idea to use aluminum foil to mix epoxy. Works great, the excess, just fold it up and toss it out. You just gotta love this forum! I always had to hunt around for a scrap piece of something to mix the epoxy on.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Toothpicks. They can be used to drop a dab of something in a small space, or to fill that tiny screw hole. Gets a wood chip out from between your teeth, too.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Small coated paper bowls, ice pick, tounge depressers, small leftover lidded cups/bowls-throwaway, epoxy in several time zones and Acetone for sure. ever glue yoself to your lathe? Oh yeah--several bushels of fresh shavings too.

Stick em Notes. for mixing two part epoxy. Just stick them down on bench, mix up glue and throw away, or keep to see how well the glue dries. To save money cut up stick em size paper with used computer paper on a cheap paper cutter.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Small coated paper bowls, ice pick, tounge depressers, small leftover lidded cups/bowls-throwaway, epoxy in several time zones and Acetone for sure. ever glue yoself to your lathe? Oh yeah--several bushels of fresh shavings too.
    Don't let anyone tell you that CA Glue (aka, Super Glue) won't stick to metal. I was applying a CA finish to a bottle stopper ON the lathe, and spilled it down the tool rest, locking it into place. I took me a good 45 minutes to get that darn thing loose.

When I'm at the doctor's office, alone -- waiting -- in the examining room, I often help myself to one or two of the tongue depressers stored in a jar on the counter. At $200 an hour, I don't feel guilty.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."