Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lie Nielsen Shoot Board

Lie Nielsen Shoot Board

Saw pictures of the LN shooting board for their shoot board plane looks nice and $$$$$$.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Was there a price tag attached?

I assume you know that you can build your own shooting board easily and for a small cost. Our ancestors used shooting boards and didn't have LN to provide it for them.

There are many designs out there on the web but a simple one will work fine. I've built several, of different designs, at one time or another.

Derek Cohen has built and documented several. You can find pictures on the forum or on his web site (sorry, I don't remember the link).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Wonder when they will list it on their site.Looks like a sturdy chute.Un like the wooden ones i make every so often that get warpy and out of square.
    Anyone see the vintage Stanley chute that was on the classified last month.I think the seller was asking 8or 900$ .Sure was tempting. Hope the LN is less than the plane.

Blog Entries
    I don't get it.... you can make a STABLE one out of MDF. let it soak up some shellac to toughen it, some super glue on the edge that the plane rides on and your good to go. or just use plywood.... this is one thing where I don't
    see why people would want to buy... especially not for $$$$$

aside from that it looks soo heavy and foreign to a woodworking bench.... looks like it should be permanently mounted to some metal working station.

Plywood, Mdf yuk nasty stuff

Blog Entries
    stable and pratical......

Different strokes for different folks, guys.. It's all good.

Jim,

It looks like it'd be tough to square the end of a long piece. Did they make a ready provision for making a wider base for it?? By that I mean did they make the base a standard, machined thickness, such that a 1/2 or 3/4" piece of MDF would be the same height, for an "extension table", or could you tell? Otherwise squaring the end of a 30" shelf, for example, would be a hassle.

When I'd read they were going to be making a board I'd assumed it'd be 12"x16" or larger, although expandable would be nice too.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galvin View Post
    Saw pictures of the LN shooting board for their shoot board plane looks nice and $$$$$$.
    Hi Jim this is a picture from Jeff wich he linked to on wood net handtool forum. This is a quote from that threat:

The shooting board shown in the pictures is actually not made by Lie-Nielsen. That is a modern copy of the Stanley #52 (I didn't ask who made it) that they are using for R&D and demonstration purposes for the L-N #51. This is the first time I have seen it outside the Lie-Nielsen headquarters, though it has been around for a while.

As many of you know, the goal had been to manufacture an improved copy of the #51, which is available now, followed by a left-hand version of the #51, and an improved version of the #52 shoot board. In order to accommodate right-hand and left-hand planes, the improved #52 will have a fence and quadrant at both ends of the board. In other words, it won't look exactly like the board in the photos.

It is my understanding that the foundry patterns for the left hand plane and shooting board are still in their infancy and will not get the go-ahead for production until the company can divert the necessary resources. If you really want to help Lie-Nielsen move forward with these new products, I would suggest buying some other tools from their catalog in the mean time to help inject some capital that can be used to finance expensive projects like the shooting board.

Cheers Pedder

I'd like to build a shooting board and a special plane,and have 800# of 1/2" bronze sheet to fabricate it with. But,in my type of work,which seldom includes cabinet making,I have no need for one(except for being a tool pig!!) I do not even have the bench space to bolt one of these down.

Personally,I have about 5 LN planes,and more than that number were bought for my former job. Then,there are LV's,and my own creations!! I don't need any more(!!),but might get their new little teeny 3 1/2"(?) block plane. Good for guitar making,plus,tempting "male jewelry"! That won't add a lot to their coffers,but I think I really have done my share!! Had every customer done the same,they could open a Madison Avenue shop.

George, what makes you think they couldn't already open a Madison Ave shop if they wanted? Or maybe they already have..

Then,they wouldn't need to scrape pennies to make the new chute board!!! I think I'm still going to get the teeny little block plane(as if I need it!) Have several smaller I made years ago.

Hubba hubba thanks for the pictures! I've been waiting to see this for years!
    Does it have any angle adjustments?
    Thanks!
    "Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."

I've been eyeing that one myself, George.. it looks really sweet!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I have a picture of that as well, likely at the same event based on where the other tools are laid out: the CT School of Woodworking Open House.

I tried uploading here but SMC says the picture is too big.

http://joecrafted.files.wordpress.co...vsw2012_10.jpg
    joecrafted