Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Leaf Maple Calabash

Big Leaf Maple Calabash

I haven't posted any work in a while mostly because I was having difficulty photographing the glossy finishes I prefer. With the help of tutorial written by John Lucas concerning exactly that topic, I was able to set my lighting in a way that produced decent photographs. Now I have a few items to show off that technique. This one is a dyed Big Leaf Maple calabash. The bowl is about 9" in diameter and the flame and eyes are quite striking. I had to deal with a loose know and wasn't willing to lose the depth of the bowl so I secured it with blackened epoxy. I used a blood red alcohol based stain as a base color, sanded it back and over dyed with yellow water based dye. Using water over alcohol kept the colors from running together. The finish is about 8 coats of precat acrylic lacquer leveled between coats. Final sanding began at 500 grit through 4000 grit abralon pads. The inside is left natural color and was sanded back to only 1000 grit to leave a satin finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. That is a pretty piece, Faust......super nice finish as well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I like everything about this one, Faust. The form, the dye, the fabulous gloss finish. I worried about the knot, but it sounds like you took care of it. Beautiful.

Easily one of my favorite woods...and this is a great use of it. I'm a big fan of the classic calabash, and the dye job really sets this apart. And a great finish too!

Thanks for sharing.

Really beautiful. Few calabashes feel right to me. But I think the color and finish is what steals the show on this. Just perfect.

That's a real pretty piece Butch. I also like the way you inverted the rim on this too. Very cool indeed. And how about a link to that John Lucas tutorial?
    Tony

"Soldier On"

That's a knockout! Love the way the dye gives the piece a 3D effect! Cool idea of keeping the inside natural - nice contrast!

Congrats on getting today's WOW cover honors! Well deserved!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 09-27-2012 at 9:37 PM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I must agree with everything siad, I really like the shine and dye, fantastic work!
    Darren in Oshawa

Everyone has said it all, Fabulous work and beautiful wood. I love the form of the Calabash bowl.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Wow that is a nice one. Love it!

Faust that is one nice bowl. Love the wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The form is great and the color is stunning! Great job Faust!

Beautiful piece Faust! Some really nice figure in the wood and the great dye job and finish really make it pop.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thanks one and all for the nice comments. Steve, I hadn't looked at WOW since I posted and didn't know they thought enough of this bowl to give it the cover for a day. That's quite a treat for me. Thanks for mentioning it.
    faust

The dye job puts the beautiful wood up another level. Love then finish and photo work.
    Member Illiana Woodturners