Thread: Spalted Sycamore hollow form

Spalted Sycamore hollow form

A friend was kind enough to share an 8' X 30" sycamore log with me. The tree was taken down to make room for new construction and had been laying on the ground next to his garage for two years. It was extremely spalted through much of the log. We got bowl blanks as large as 24" across. I have several in the drying process but chose some smaller pieces and cores to complete while I wait for the others to dry. Here are three. The smallest is a 4" x 4 1/2" hollow form with 3/16" thick walls. It's pretty much a conventional shape but has quite a small opening at 5/8". Hollowing was easy because the decaying wood cut easily. It's finished with precat lacquer sanded back to level the finish then brought up with 500 grit through 4000 grit Abralon.
    Attachment 241885Spl Sycamore HF 98k.jpg
    The next is a closed form I call Fat Bottom Girl. I like lots of different shapes for hollow forms and consider none right or wrong. This one was fun to turn because I could actually see what I was doing inside the bowl. It's shape changed somewhat as it dried but that's natural. It is 6" in diameter.Fat Bottom Girl 121k.jpgIt was also finished with the same process as the hollow form.

The last piece is a calabash bowl, my favorite form despite the difficulty encountered cutting the inside walls cleanly, a process I think I finally got the hang of. This one is 9" in diameter with 1/2" walls. I fought with a knot and some very soft areas when I turned and finished this one. I stabilized all these turnings with shellac as I turned them. I believe the larger bowls will require something more heavy duty when I turn them a second time. Because of the relatively soft areas, I chose to finish this one with poly. It probably took 10 coats to get the surface to be uniform in sheen.
    Meanwhile, between the new light set up (no special equipment, just the positioning of them) and the use of Adobe Lightroom to adjust color, it is a treat to post decent pictures. Thanks for looking.
    faustSpl Sycamore Calabash 126k.jpg
    Last edited by Faust M. Ruggiero; 09-27-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: two piec did not show up

Faust,

They all look incredible but the calabash is my favorite. I just want to pick it up and hold it in my grubby little hands!

Greg

More nice pieces Butch. Not sure which is my favorite as they all look pretty dang cool to me.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Beautiful work on each of these Faust! Love the wood!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful pieces !!!. I like the first photo best for some reason.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Faust
    Love 1 & 3, 2 is a nice piece but 1 & 3 are just beautiful. Really nice friend to share that magnificent wood.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

7. Beautiful wood and great pieces although my fave has to be No1!
    Ermmm ............ lots of miles from Mr S very many miles

Faust, that is some spectacular wood and excellent work. I like the calabash best.

Beautiful pieces and wood Faust.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful wood and all well done!

Beautiful pieces Faust! I'd say #1 is my favorite, love the form and I really like how the spalt lines layed out.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I can't say more than nice forms and beautiful wood. I agree with the "no right or wrong" when it comes to hollow forms. I have some beautiful spalted sycamore, too, but it's borderline punky. Yours finished up great.

Glad to see the photography is catching up to the superb turned pieces. Hope to see lots more. Thanks for the extra effort and sharing.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

the wood is terrific and a pleasure to view. What a wonderful haul. Keep having fun!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe