Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How safe are you?

Blog Entries
    Sometimes it also is about luck.
    "Luck favors the prepared"

The basics of safety are covered in almost any complete set of information you read about the tools we all use. Follow them religiously. Make safety an integral part of your woodworking. Have a proper first aid kit that you can operate one-handed (covered in many posts here) in a proper location (not in a cabinet, high on a shelf or high on the wall) as a backup for accidents. Have a phone that you can reach (again mounted low with a speed dial button for 911) to summon help if you work alone.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

One detail I find overlooked quite often is that of a clean work environment.
    I clean my shop at the end of each day. Slips, trips, and falls can hurt ya just as badly. It is the way I was tought, and the habit stays with me.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I use a well adjusted and maintained guard on every tool that has one, and make sure that everyone else who uses my tools does as well. If you have kids, just imagine them using the machine and what you would tell them to be careful of, then set it up so that it would be very, very difficult for them to get hurt. I have a commercial shop and years ago, I proactively invited the local OSHA inspector in to have a look. Safety glasses for certain operations, and consistent use of hearing protection were his two biggest recommendations.
    JR

Blog Entries
    I am the safety manager for a large company that services control valves. A lot of the good comments in this post are echoed in the safety training we do and by the companies we do work for . It is referred to as Job Safety Analysis or Hazard Safety Analysis (JSA or HSA).

1. Evaluate the job step by step
    2. Identify the hazards
    3. Eliminate the potential hazards
    4. If the hazard can't be eliminated, mitigate the hazard through work processes or safety equipment

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    "Luck favors the prepared"

The basics of safety are covered in almost any complete set of information you read about the tools we all use. Follow them religiously. Make safety an integral part of your woodworking. Have a proper first aid kit that you can operate one-handed (covered in many posts here) in a proper location (not in a cabinet, high on a shelf or high on the wall) as a backup for accidents. Have a phone that you can reach (again mounted low with a speed dial button for 911) to summon help if you work alone.
    a speaker phone with a mic that you do not need to hold to your ear are good , a pencil or dowel rod to push the phone buttons without getting blood all over everything

This seems like a good thread.

Read and follow the instructions for all of your machines. Instructions can often tell you the smallest piece you can safely cut on that machine, etc. If you havn't read the instruction in a year or are trying to remember what was in the instructions then just reread them. Use tools for their intended purpose.

Write down all "near miss" safety concerns and address them. These can be as simple as extension cord trip hazards, or a floor that's not kept clean.

Wear all your certified protective gear when using machines. Eye, Ears, face shield, no loose clothing, dust collection, etc.

Never work when upset, sleep deprived, or on drugs.

A lot of good advice here. For any power cutting tool, i plan the cut in such a way that my hands are as ar away from the cutter as possible, or there is protection between my hand and the cutter like a grrripper. When working wih small pieces at the router table, i hold the piece wih a large wood screw if possible.

Lots of good comments here, starting with using the brain.

The safest thing i did recently was going to Colorado (Alpine Technical Workshop) to have Joe Calhoon - a GREAT guy - educate me about how to use my new shaper. I had heard all the stories about the shaper being the most versitile machine in the shop, but also the most dangerous . . . . so i decided the trip to Colo and the class would be alot less expensive than any emergency room visit, and i was pretty sure i would return home with all 10 digits intact. In short, education.

Best to all, Patrick

p.s., the downside is that once i realized what good tooling could accomplish, i had to have some. . . . okay, a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    I use a well adjusted and maintained guard on every tool that has one, and make sure that everyone else who uses my tools does as well. If you have kids, just imagine them using the machine and what you would tell them to be careful of, then set it up so that it would be very, very difficult for them to get hurt. I have a commercial shop and years ago, I proactively invited the local OSHA inspector in to have a look. Safety glasses for certain operations, and consistent use of hearing protection were his two biggest recommendations.
    +1.

Good post JR..

It's amazing how many people forget that a guard is always required.............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    If something does not feel right, find another way.

Larry

This is the one piece of advice that seems to get downgraded but I completely agree with Larry (to paraphrase) -

If your little voice tells you something - don't ignore it. This could be anything from - this seems risky - to something more specific as - put a clamp on it - or check the depth of the blade (track saw). Even when it seems like a nuisance or that it will add too much time - ignore your little voice at your peril!
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I would also add that it is not just the "new" techniques or "risky" endeavors that can get you hurt. Certainly these are to be concerend about, but you are usually very focused on what you are doing because it is new or you are a little skeptical. However, complacency on repetitive operations can be quite dangerous as well. Always keep your mind on task. It is very easy to start daydreaming when doing repetative operations with power tools especially stationary ones. If I start loosing focus, I take a short break then start again after I have renewed my focus.

Mike

I dont text on the lathe or answer the phone while equipment is running
    Keep your mind on the task

machine-has-no-brain.jpg
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    The blade was tracking wrong and had eaten through the other side! Both times I was cut not while sawing ,but by throwing away the pieces at a barrel very close to the saw.
    Sorry Mel, but for the life of me I can't understand your post. The blade had eaten through the other side of WHAT? And how did that relate to you being cut by throwing pieces at a barrel?

Keith

The sheet metal guarding the blade on the structure side (opposite to cutting side) had been sawn by the saw not tracking correctly.Most likely it had been lightly brushing it for quite some time. Saw was fairly close to the moulder which probably masked the noise from the defect. The scrap barrel stayed right in front of the structure side. Because I was just cutting up accumulated rippings I was working quickly from blade side to barrel side and my hand brushed the pierced guard while putting the scrap into the barrel. Cuts were no more than a quarter inch deep,I personally spoke to insurance rep to make sure they understood what had happened since it was an unusual type of occurance .As I said, I had no idea how I had gotten cut,until it happened the second time, but had wondered how I could have gotten a bandsaw injury without losing a finger. That's why I was working so slowly and deliberately when I returned to work,and did it again.

OK, that makes a little more sense. Thanks!

Keith