Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy Tool Crisis

I use my 2 ton engine hoist for things like this all the time.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I bought a 1 ton folding engine hoist from Harbor Freight for $100.

Used it on oneway lathe, hammer jointer/planer, and grizzley shaper.

I also used it once on an engine, though it was just to support the engine while i replaced mounts, not to swap the engine.

Folds up and stores tightly in the corner of the garage.

Blog Entries
    Rent or buy engine hoist. or Make ramp and slide out. I've done latter several times with 400-500 pound items. Get some 2x4s, and sheet of 3/4 ply and make a ramp. Double or triple them up if your worried about weight. Renting the hoist is probably best idea if you have capacity for the height required. Take it easy, think about what your doing and DON'T GET UNDER IT!

Definitely the engine hoist. Especially if your driveway is paved. Then you aren't wrestling it down a ramp. Lower it down close to the ground and roll where you need it.

Okay, it's off the truck and in my shop. I simply bought a six pack , drank it, then I didn't feel a thing. I'm a big guy and guess there's an advantage to that.

Okay, so the chain hoist (on sale at Harbor Freight) and two straps didn't hurt either! Backed up to a tree and lifted it, drove out from underneath, then lowered it onto a sheet of 7/16 OSB. The we used another sheet to roll it over to the shop floor. Worked like a charm. No trees were hurt during the process. Chain hoist is nice to have. It will be a permanent fixture hanging from the large beams in the shop from now on. (Couldn't use the beams in the shop to hang the planer, it was being used to hang the truck camper shell at the same time). Don't need no stinkin' engine hoist. If I get one of those things the shop's personality will change toward the car mechanic look too far. Plus it would be in the way all the time. I'd much rather be identified as a board stretcher than a wrench turner!

Be warned, just because you can hang a chain hoist from your ceiling, doesn't mean you will not pull the ceiling down on your head. It is better to have a gantry crane instead. A gantry crane, chain hoist and a push beam trolley are the best solution. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-t...ane-41188.html You roll the crane around your truck and you are golden. We know that 5 minutes, is unlikely to do much... but don't hang an engine up there for the afternoon.

Glad it turned out for you.

Understand about the ceiling coming down. It is hung on through bolted, paired 2x6's that are braced with a couple of triangles involved, all held up by 6x6's, so I'm not worried much about weight up to a 1/4 ton. However there is no way I'd do more than that. Thanks for the concern!

Aw shucks, I was hoping you were close to Tacoma, WA. I was going to get a couple of my sons and come over.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.