Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Tool Crisis

Question Heavy Tool Crisis

I've got a (new to me) Grizzly 1021 15 inch planer that I picked up on C.L. and it was loaded onto my F350 pickup by the previous owner. He had a truck with a tommy lift and we rolled it over into mine. It's now stranded there because I don't have anyone else to help me get the darned thing off of my truck! I took the motor off the top but it is still heavier than I can manage. My wife would help but there's no way she can lift one side of this thing. I'd remove the stand and mobile base but I still have to pick it up to do that!

Tomorrow I'm going to go rent an appliance dolly from Uhaul and see if that will enable me to lower it off the truck with the tail gate removed. I'm not sure my back will ever forgive me for what I'm about to do. I am a recent immigrant to my new state and I don't know anyone nearby, so I'm kind of on my own.

Any ideas before I kill my self? Block and Tackle from a tree limb? Pile up dirt then push it onto the pile? I'm at a loss for something this heavy. Sure do miss the Bobcat I had back in Virginia.

I know the dirt pile was meant to be sarcastic, but the concept actually works well. My wife and I unloaded a 1023 TS from my truck bed by ourselves. I took the top off but the base was still too heavy to handle. I backed the truck into a ditch to get the tailgate as low as possible. Then I used 2x4s stacked up for cribbing and slid the base out and onto them. Then all we did is remove the 2x4s one a time until the saw was on the ground. If your planer has feet or legs, you may consider sliding a piece of plywood under them and attaching it. This would give you a flat bottom to work with when sliding it. I wouldn't do the dolly unless you KNOW that you can hold it. Once you start over the truck bed, there is no going back, and if you drop it, its done.

The problem is that it is top heavy. Where is it going? My garage has an attic above, and I've taken a 4x4 and put it across several of the roof trusses above the attic entrance. Rope, a harbor frieght el cheapo come a long, and I've lifted lots of machines.

Today I took a ritter 23 spindle line drill out of my truck by myself, no comealong or anything. How? You let gravity work for you. Also, I always try to haul on the side for stability and ease of unload.

Or use a pallet and ramp.

ramp.jpg

Oh- welcome to the site!

You can rent an engine hoist from a rental center, roll it under the wheels , lift the planer, and drive the truck away. Dave

Like Dave said i have used the engine hoist trick. Worked very well to remove my 20" grizzly planer off the pallet

Plus two for the engine hoist. I brought home a Powermatic 45 Lathe a while ago and my son came over with his hoist. Picked it up in the bed of the truck, drove out from under it, rolled it into the shop. Piece of cake.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Blog Entries
    Hurting yourself is not worth it. I built a ramp out of the packing crate one machine came in. A long gradual angle can be managed. A short or weak ramp spells disaster; take it seriously. Most rental yards rent some sort of Genie-lift if you are on a paved surface. These are hand cranked forklifts that can handle quite a load. I used one to wall-mount my cyclone and it was one of the best cost-to-benefit decisions I ever made.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Yes, rent a collapsible engine hoist from your local auto parts dealer or rental shop. Don't screw up your back, it can stay with you for a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Streagle View Post
    Any ideas before I kill my self? Block and Tackle from a tree limb? Pile up dirt then push it onto the pile? I'm at a loss for something this heavy. Sure do miss the Bobcat I had back in Virginia.
    Man, there's an easy solution..
    Go to Criagslist.. there's professional movers that do side jobs there.
    I had a 20" planer, I think it weighed about 800 lbs. It cost me about $60 to have it moved from the garage down to the basement. Best money I ever spent. I wish I had known about this before bugging my family to haul heavy tools down the basement. The guy I hired was huge.. moved pianos for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Streagle View Post
    I've got a (new to me) Grizzly 1021 15 inch planer that I picked up on C.L. and it was loaded onto my F350 pickup by the previous owner. He had a truck with a tommy lift and we rolled it over into mine. It's now stranded there because I don't have anyone else to help me get the darned thing off of my truck! I took the motor off the top but it is still heavier than I can manage. My wife would help but there's no way she can lift one side of this thing. I'd remove the stand and mobile base but I still have to pick it up to do that!

Tomorrow I'm going to go rent an appliance dolly from Uhaul and see if that will enable me to lower it off the truck with the tail gate removed. I'm not sure my back will ever forgive me for what I'm about to do. I am a recent immigrant to my new state and I don't know anyone nearby, so I'm kind of on my own.

I just had the same problem I just bought a 20 inch planer from grizzly it weighed in at 800lbs. I pulled the front of my truck up on car ramps and let a bunch of air out of my rear tires this got the tail gate about 18 inches off the ground then just a couple 2 x 10s and I slid it off.

1+ On the Engine Hoist. Off loaded a 12" Northfield jointer by my self with a over sized engine hoist. Just lift it up and drive away. Tom

I have done a couple large tools myself (>1000#)

I make a ramp. Then lever it up and screw some wheels on it (all my stuff is on wheels). Then a block and tackle or chain hoist to 'pull it out' - while at the same time a rope (the friction works so dont need a block and tackle in this direction) to 'hold it back'.

So as I pull on it with the chain hoist, I am slowly letting out the rope that is holding it back. In this way I can slowly work it down the ramp. The shallower the ramp, the better (but I need to go right into my shop - even pulling under a tree limb and unloading would just leave it stuck there.....)

I've hired help for everything from moving to digging out overgrown bushes in the classified section of craigslist.

Most rental yards usually have folding metal loading ramps for pickup trucks as well. Shouldn't be terribly expensive. Would be certainly easier than trying to cobble something together out of construction lumber. I've moved all the machines I currently own (12" jointer/planer, Unisaw, 20" bandsaw, Delta HD Shaper, 12" drill press, etc) into my shop with them and an appliance dolly.