Thread: Two Laser Engraved Plates

Two Laser Engraved Plates

I posted about Gia's plate early in September. Gia is the 16 month old daughter of a client of my tree trimmers, who recently lost her battle with cancer. The tree trimmers asked if I would turn something for them to give to the parents.
    I took the plate to be laser engraved and just picked it up on Friday. Today I applied a few coats of WTF but I was getting alot of wipe marks. I sanded it back to level then decided to try spraying it on with an air brush. That went better after fiddling with the settings. I diluted the WTF about 1:1 with water and that was a little thin, it would probably go better with a 2:1 mix. I need to do a little sanding on it tomorrow, then I'll apply a few more coats of WTF then buff and wax.
    PICT0008-005.JPGPICT0009-001.JPG
    I also took another plate to be laser engraved. This is an ash plate that I turned for my stepmother.
    It's 11" x 1" finished with antique oil then buffed and waxed.
    PICT0005-001.JPGPICT0006-002.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Those turned out very nice. I'm sure the recipients will love them!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Kathy,

Those both are wonderful examples of your love, patiences, and skill. Simply saying that they are beautiful isn't enough, they will always be heart felt.

Bob Haverstock

Those are great plates Kathy. If you don't mind me asking but what were your settings for spraying the WTF? I spray it regularly with out having to dilute it.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Very nice plates Kathy and very touching stories. Turning them must have been a meaningful experience for you. Lives touched by loss can be enriched by memories and knowing that others care.

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    Those are great plates Kathy. If you don't mind me asking but what were your settings for spraying the WTF? I spray it regularly with out having to dilute it.
    What I have is just a cheap little HF air gun, there aren't any numbered settings on it but I got the best results when I reduced the amount of finish being sprayed and increased the air flow. I diluted the WTF because part of the problem with wiping it on is that it dries almost immediately (the air is so dry here). I diluted it so the droplets would have a chance to flatten before they dried, but next time I'll reduce the dilution.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Those are beauties Kathy. Really well done. They will be cherished.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very very nice. I like how these turned out.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Very nice plates Kathy. I just finished turning a plate that I need to get engraved for my parents anniversary. I hope mine turns out as good as yours.