Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone still make 16" or 18" planers?

John, If this is for a business and you have justified the investment of a new planer based on time savings, then another $200 to get a 30A service seems like a no-brainer. If you can sell more boards, then it will increase your revenue and profit/hr due to the increased throughput and lower labor hours. If you go single phase and new, then you don't have the cost of the converter and any down-time/parts to get the older machine up and running. However, if you go 3ph and old arn, you would likely spend less or get more planer for the money. Just depends on your preference, but with the information you have presented, I would highly recommend running at least a 30A service to the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    John, If this is for a business and you have justified the investment of a new planer based on time savings, then another $200 to get a 30A service seems like a no-brainer. If you can sell more boards, then it will increase your revenue and profit/hr due to the increased throughput and lower labor hours. If you go single phase and new, then you don't have the cost of the converter and any down-time/parts to get the older machine up and running. However, if you go 3ph and old arn, you would likely spend less or get more planer for the money. Just depends on your preference, but with the information you have presented, I would highly recommend running at least a 30A service to the garage.
    I don't disagree. Talked with Laguna tonight about their 16" sheartec 2 planer (5 hp single phase). Looks like it's around $2,800 delivered with a little discount tacked on. Don't know how good it is, but I'm guessing it's a big step up from the standard made in Taiwan, 4 post models (Grizzly, PM, Jet et. al).

Just saw an article in FWW (#223) that said really good things about both the Byrd and the Sheartec-2. I don't think I'd regret getting either head, regardless of whether it works with end-grain cutting boards.

I'm sure there are other good Euro models as well (Hammer/Felder?).

My lunchbox officially died tonight, so I've got to pull the trigger on something ASAP.
    Soli Deo Gloria.
    Chief Sawdust Maker, LoneStar Artisans
    Chief Sawdust Maker, The BoardSMITH
    Secretary, North Texas Woodworkers Association

John, I'm not sure how I would streamline your process, but I'm sure I would have dedicated setups for each process step. Maybe you do now; I couldn't tell. What I do know is that you either need to put the guard and splitter on your tablesaw or get a SawStop. Seriously, you are taking completely unnecessary risks. Please, do it tomorrow first thing. And use a push stick.

John