Thread: Yard sale finds...

Yard sale finds...

I am not a big yard sale guy but I was down in Florida and the guy at the end of my Moms street had a sale going. I could plainly see from the road 4 hand saws hanging so I stopped. He wanted 5 bucks a piece for the 4 saws. I told him I wasn't looking to spend 20 bucks and he said give me 10 bucks for all 4. I also grabbed a Stanley handyman plane for 5 bucks. two large tape rulers for 2.50 each. A push drill for 2.50 and a measuring caliper for 2.50. total did end up spending 25 bucks but I think I got an OK deal. Not sure if anyone can identify any of these saws from my crappy pictures or not. I'll try to get better ones. Pictures below...

P1000871 - Copy.jpgP1000873 - Copy.jpgP1000875 - Copy.jpgP1000878 - Copy.jpgP1000879 - Copy.jpgP1000882 - Copy.jpgP1000884 - Copy.jpgP1000886 - Copy.jpg

Nice score. Recently having acquired a push drill, I don't know how I lived without one. Sometimes it's a god-send for pre-drilling for screws in awkward places.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Good haul,

The push drills are nice, but I have had a few where the threads on the bottom of the bit storage chamber get stripped by users in a hurry.

They push the chamber up by the "nut" and twist to tighten the threads. Doing this a lot will damage the threads eventually.

The old Bell System used these a lot. They were a very handy tool for a telephone installer.

I have a small caliper like yours that is also used almost daily. Once you memorize decimal equivalents for 1/32" measurements you will find it handy for determining what drill to use.

Mine gets used a lot to check my lathe blanks to see if they are square on the end when I'm using a chuck to hold my pieces.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)