Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paamuya

Paamuya

"Paamuya" is the name of the Hopi August moon. It means "Moon of Joyful". I had taken an month off from turning after the National Symposium. The break was not from being burnt out, but because my business had been very busy and I did not feel I could devote the time that I needed to produce the pieces that I like to make. In the first week of August I had a little slow down and figured it would be a good time to get started on another piece. I knew the 31st of August was the last Blue Moon till 2015 and wanted to do a piece that represented that event and the feeling I had from getting back to work on the things I love to do. "Paamuya" was the perfect name.

"Paamuya" is my latest Acorn Cap piece. It is my interpretation of an Indian Jar. I have been doing some more open forms of late and thought this might make a really nice open form for the light to shine through. Those that have seen my pieces in person know that they are very translucent and this one is more so as I intentionally went at little light on pigments so it would allow more light to pass through. This form was a popular form for many of the southwest native peoples. Versions of this form can vary widely in proportions. I have seen short squatty versions as well as taller versions. Some have more slope at collar and others that are very strait at the collar. I picked the proportions that I felt that would give effect and allow light to shine through the piece.

The piece is made of live oak acorn caps and the collar is live oak burl all cast in a bright blue pigmented resin. I like to incorporate defective pieces of wood that allow the resin to flow between the collars and the main bodies of the piece. It is my opinion that this helps tie the pieces together. The piece is about 7 1/2" x about 7 1/2" or a little large then a volley ball. It took about seven pounds of resin to cast the piece. The thickness is shy of 3/16" but over 1/8". I have around 70 hours total in this piece. This finish is my high gloss CA finish on the exterior with a soft satin CA finish on the interior of the piece.

This was a very difficult piece to photograph. The shadows kept hiding the curve and made the piece look much shorter and hides a nice flow to the curve. I went to a little longer lens that cut down a bit on the illusion plus I photograph and changed angles that the picture was taken as well as trying different light placement. One of these day's I will get this photography stuff all figured out. I also included a picture of it on the lathe which gives a better perspective the actual shape of the piece before the piece had the finish applied. It has a quite nice voluptuous curve that is visible in that photo.

As always cheers and jeers are welcome and thanks for looking.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 10-01-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: typo and probably more

Beautiful piece Alan. I love the color and the form looks great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

This is a beautiful piece Alan. The wood/resin combo is spectacular.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Beautiful piece Alan! Love the color and the open form!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Neat shape Alan and I love the blue!

Nice piece Alan. The open forms are a great way to show off the transparency of those pieces.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Alan, you may have explained this before but how do you hold all the acorn caps in place while you mold it in resin? Do you glue them onto some shaped block then turn it out afterwards? This piece is beautiful and if my memory serves me right, somewhat similar to the one you made for SWAT.

Kelvin.

Yes there is an inner plug. But what one must realize is each cap is sized for height and then there is placement. There was about 40 hours in prep for this blank. This is really a pretty big piece compared to what was at SWAT. It really bothers me that this one does not photograph well. Part of the problem besides the shadows is the glare from the gloss also makes the collar look much straighter than it is. This one collects light like a telescope. I had it sitting on the kitchen counter and the light from the ceiling lite can made it glow. Pretty cool to see.

Thanks,

Alan

ooohhh, how lovely. the color is just wonderful. Glad you had time to make & share.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Stunning as always! I always find your work to be among the most interesting and unique pieces on the web. Hope to see one in person some day.

Beautiful work once again Alan! Love the form!

About the only thing I can suggest on the photo stuff is to keep playing with the lighting. Having one light high and to one side - and another low and on the opposite side would fill in some of the shadows yet retain enough to still let the piece look 3D. PM Jamie and see what he can suggest.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Another beautiful piece, Alan. You work is always fantastic and this is no exception!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Another piece up to your high standard! Well done.
    May I add a query? Is the bright spot in (most) caps the result of the aluminum (the metallic powder) floating to the top and being captured by each acorn?

14. That blue is one of my favorite colors........your work is special Alan..........glad you are producing these pieces.........lets us know what is possible and to keep striving to raise the level of our own work.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments,

Steve, I agree that lights needed to be moved around a bit which I did try. I actually think a darker background might have helped as well. Norm, yes the mica settles into the center of the caps which gives each cap the chatoyance.

Alan