Thread: Lee Valley Jointer Fence

Lee Valley Jointer Fence

Anybody using one of these jointer fences? Do they work?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=41716&cat=1,41182

Thanks,

tom

Just bought one during the most recent free shipping spree. I'll let you know in a couple of days.

Steve

Blog Entries
    To paraphrase Henry Ford, "If you think it works or ir you think it doesn't work, you are probably right.

Using a fence on a rabbet plane or a multi-plane doesn't help me to make a square cut as much as having learned to use the plane without a fence. As usual, ymmv.

The trick is in making sure the fence is fully engaged with the reference surface. If just the top or bottom of the fence is engaged, you could be tricked into thinking you are cutting square. Then you will be scratching your head wondering why.

Here is something from my learning to use a hand plane:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...47#post1515247

Joining an edge square is toward the end.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I got one along with my jointer that I purchased recently. I have found it to be helpful. It is not a "plug'n'play" operation, as you'll need to square it up to the sole of the plane whenever you install it. I use a machinist's square to set it up. I'm happy I bought it, since I know that as long as I do a good job setting up the plane, my edge will be square. If you don't have a good machinist's square or three, I'd recommend that you get a quality 4" to work as a set up reference.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

I made a fence out of two pieces of plywood and clamp it on using a c clamp. It definitely works. I have trouble sometimes getting a square edge across the thickness and width at the same time (so end up squaring one and knocking the other out of square until I am making something a lot smaller than I had planned on ). The fence helps with that since once it is set up, it is easier to keep the board square across the thickness and I can focus on the width. It is also nice when you have twist in the edge since you can just take a few swipes across the full edge to get rid of the twist.

That all being said, I'm trying to learn how to quickly and reliably square up an edge without the fence because sometimes it gets to be a pain to setup the fence, square everything up, etc... (thanks Jim, for the link to your older post, there are some good ideas in there that I haven't tried). The rare earth magnets in the LV fence should make this process easier than my c-clamp, though.

Christian

Thanks to all for the responses. Jim, great tutorial; thank you for putting that together and posting.

I find myself wandering from the machine world to this neander stuff. It's quite a steep learning curve and a slippery slope. 8^) One lesson from my power tool experience that I suspect applies is that not every item for sale is of benefit to the purchaser.

I may never get good at it, but I'm (generally) having fun learning.

Thanks again, stand by for the next question,

Tom

I have one and it works. It's a lot like training wheels on a bike.

You will, in time, learn to get square edges without one; for some of us that takes longer.

If you have projects to complete and can't yet get a square edge, get the fence.

Once you've got it, from time to time try working without it.
    AKA - "The human termite"

I've had one for a while now. I use it with my trusty old Type 8 Stanley 8C and have found it to be very helpful. As Jim said, the best bet is to know how to do it without the fence. But, until I get there... This fence works. It is helping me to gain the muscle memory. I figure, as a kid, I used training wheels before I sped off on two wheels alone. This is pretty much the same idea, and it's a darn good one. Easy setup and on & off. Another Lee Valley winner.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Blank View Post

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=41716&cat=1,41182

Thanks,

tom
    I have one and don't care for it. It's held on with magnets which tend to give way when using a big plane, say a 7 or 8. I found it easier learn hand jointing without the guide. Not so hard, really.

Regards,

KMB

Blog Entries
    Tom,

I just noticed your profile has you in the Great Pacific Northwest. What part of the GPNW?

I live in southern Washington, about an hour out of Portland, OR.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    I have one and it works. It's a lot like training wheels on a bike.

You will, in time, learn to get square edges without one; for some of us that takes longer.

If you have projects to complete and can't yet get a square edge, get the fence.

Once you've got it, from time to time try working without it.
    I bought the similar one that fits the Veritas jointer plane. It attaches with screws so is more robust than magnets (but of course that requires the threaded holes in the side of the plane casting). Like Chuck, I consider it to be training wheels. I used it frequently early on, less over time. Sometimes when I'm just having a lot of trouble for some reason, I still use the fence.

Jim; I'm in Puyallup.

Andrae, Monroe; I was wondering how well the magnets worked.

TB

I have one with magnets, find it very handy for my somewhat unsteady hands.
    Paul

It's like a bicycle's training wheels - cumbersome and not worth the effort. I owned one for a few years and only used once or twice.

My dad wouldn't buy training wheels for my bicycle. He thought I would learn better without them. I've done okay (not great) without the fence, and I guess I'll stick with it -- except I want to try Jim's hand-as-a-fence trick.
    Michael Ray Smith