Thread: I say i say what about those mastercarver chisels

I say i say what about those mastercarver chisels

Well i got some there not pretty like the ones for double the money and they dont have the size stamped on them but there sharp out of the box and carve well good steel at the tip will hold an edge so far for someone like me that doesnt have to have them seven days a week i think there fine and with a money back deal i stamped the size on mine all 18 in about 10 min. Also sanded a flat on the handle to keep the from rolling on the bench and if you think about it look at what was carved 200 yrs. Ago with not so pretty tools i wish i could do as well well thats my opinion and you know what they say about opinions old hippy out

Hello there. I'm new to the forum and even newer to carving. I read voraciously and have now read my umpteenth carving book. I have yet to carve a single thing. My wife just bought me a set, (I know, bless her heart), of gouges that aren't even made by a company! At least there isn't a name anywhere on the thing. No stamps, nothing on the case they came in, nada. I have had experience sharpening knives, gouges are a tad different. Ha, ha. The bevels are HORRIBLE. Looks like someone put them on a grinder, coarse wheel, with out even looking, and then shoved them in a box. I don't own a wheel, so I've been working on them by hand. The bevels need to be almost two thirds longer, NIGHTMARE!
    I'm fairly poor, so I will use these untill I can aquire real tools. I'm currently emptying a back yard shed to make an improvised shop. No bench. I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the floor, cementing in a 4x4, and making an articulated carvers arm to attach to said 4x4.
    I guess everyone's got to start somewhere...
    I remain hopefull.