Thread: Picture Matte ideas?

Picture Matte ideas?

I have made a number of 8 x 10 photo mattes with a 5x7 opening (often as gifts for newborn baby pix) . I normally just raster the name, birthdate and other particulars in standard matte board. I use masking paper over the entire matte to prevent discoloration of the matte, but I still get the normal laser discoloration in the rastered letters and around the edge of the vector cut 5x7 opening.

I have played with fonts that I can vector cut, but all I have found are stencil type fonts and that isn't too cool for baby pix.

So...my questions are.. Does anyone have have any samples of picture mattes that they are proud of that I can plagiarize....does anyone have a better material than matte board that might work better and finally, does anyone have a font(s) that could be vector cut which are less military/stencil looking?

Thanx
    Trotec Speedy 300.....45w
    Corel x4
    Not enough woodworking tools...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rath View Post
    I have made a number of 8 x 10 photo mattes with a 5x7 opening (often as gifts for newborn baby pix) . I normally just raster the name, birthdate and other particulars in standard matte board. I use masking paper over the entire matte to prevent discoloration of the matte, but I still get the normal laser discoloration in the rastered letters and around the edge of the vector cut 5x7 opening.

I have played with fonts that I can vector cut, but all I have found are stencil type fonts and that isn't too cool for baby pix.

So...my questions are.. Does anyone have have any samples of picture mattes that they are proud of that I can plagiarize....does anyone have a better material than matte board that might work better and finally, does anyone have a font(s) that could be vector cut which are less military/stencil looking?

Thanx
    We do picture framing also, so if you need mat openings cut with the white bevel, we can help you out...PM me if your interested in exploring that option. The mat cutter also can cut clip art and letters. What in particular where you looking to do with letters?
    Luann
    Luann Brainard- Backwoods Framing & Engraving
    Epilog 60 watt Helix/ 75 watt Fusion
    Corel-Draw x8
    Gravotech IS400
    Sandblaster
    Valliani Computerized Mat Cutter

Hey I have a Wizard too. Iv'e even done some engineering work for them. Which model do you have?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I have started to do some engraving on Matte boards for a local picture framing company,
    I find the same with white matte board, but the silver and gold lasers almost perfect white.
    the Vector still discolours a bit but the lettering is fantastic.
    I would try different colours.
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Check out Colorado Heirloom, they have some great ideas & some CD's with patterns.
    Linda Tetreault
    Laser Impressions
    Epilog Mini 45 watt
    Corel X5

Bob - you can make any font "stencil" like - just convert to outline and cut them in strategic places so that the text stays together when vector cut. We use this all the time for our work:

Untitled-4.jpgUntitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-3.jpg
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic