Thread: Kitchen Work Table

Kitchen Work Table

This is a table I made for for my son from some old full size oak studs removed from a house that was being remodeled by a guy he works with. I split some of the studs in half and glued them up for the top. Them ripped some 2 X 2’s for the legs. I put a 1 X 2 skirt around the boards used for the top and used some 1 X 2’s for a skirt
    around the bottom for a shelf. I turned the bottom of the 2 X 2’s on the lathe to give them an added feature other than just square legs. The boards I used for the shelf at the bottom I cleaned up just enough to get the dirt and grime off of them and will leave them ruff. For the top I used a mineral and beeswax paste I made and rubbed it into the wood. For the legs and bottom skirt I am going to use a satin polny. The boards for the shelf I plan to leave them unfinished. The table come out looking so good, I was tempted not to let my son have it.

The really sad part about the old studs used to make this table, most of them ended up on the burn pile by the guy before my son found out about them and asked the guy to let him have them. Some people just don’t have any respect for old reclaimable lumber.

The size of the table is 28 1/2" wide, 48" long and 37" tall

Bobby McCarley
    Louisiana
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's nice to see good wood being recycled. He should get a lot of use from the table. Nice job.
    Paul

What's even sadder is they have no idea as to the value of old wood! Reclaimed lumber often sell for more $$$ than new wood

nice job!
    JeffD

Bobby,
    Aren't you a little worried about wood movement? If that top expands, it's going to open up the miters, and if the shelf expands, it's going to bow or even push out the legs. That's a lot of width in that shelf. Around here in Central IL, I bet that shelf moves around 3/8" from season to season. It looks like you may have a little room between the boards on the shelf, but the top is fixed up tight. It could move as much as a 1/4". Maybe you don't run a furnace much down there, so maybe not so much wood movement.

Very nice job!

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated. Richard, we do have wood movement here in La. but it's mostly a problem with wood that is not totaly dry. This lumber is probably close to 100 years old, and yes I did leave gaps around the boards for the shelf. Hopefully my son will not have any problems with the table.

Bobby
    Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby McCarley View Post

Bobby
    Louisiana
    Nice table Bobby, my guess is that in a hundred years your great great grandson will be sitting at that table eating some blue crabs. By the way, I've heard people in Louisiana like to eat BOILED CRABS. I'm from Maryland, and we like to eat plenty of Louisiana crabs, but we steam them. (We have a few crabs of our own also)

Thanks Stephen, yes we love our boiled crabs. I have never eaten them steamed, but I'm sure they are just as good. The only thing, we put a "LOT" of seasoning in our water when we boil our crabs and they soak up all of this seasoning, which is what makes them so good. I don't know how this would compare with steaming them.

Bobby
    Louisiana