Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lathes ....

Lathes ....

I am looking to get back into turning and am very puzzled by all the different lathes . I had a rikon 10" lathe before and hated it all I could turn was pens ( I love but have more desires) and bowls with the screw faceplate ( a chuck made the thing almost tip over) . I was looking at the delta 46-460 and jet 1220 vs but then though 700 for something I can't turn a big bowl or something on . So I was thinking bigger like a nova 1624-44 or a jet 1442 . I was looking at the 16'' jet thats 2399.99 but I don't think I would be able to come up with that before woodcrafts sale ends . How often do woodcraft have 10% off jet lathes ? Thats double the price and then some of the 1624-44 though but it seems like a lot more lathe . Is it really worth the 1500 more than the nova or 1000 more than the 1442 ? I just don't see it , the nova seems like its a very nice lathe for the money and then I would have alot more cash to play with for cool tools ( I already have henry taylor and sorby basic 6 big tools ). All help is greatly appreciated .
    Last edited by John Keeton; 10-08-2012 at 6:22 AM.

Yeah I think the 16" jet is out the extra cash is pointless I don't want to put over 2k into a lathe unless I am getting a powermatic . So 1442 or 1624-44 ? or something less then 1400.
    Oh yeah and I want to be able to turn everything from pens to goblets to platters to cowboy hats ......
    Last edited by Jordan Gilbert; 10-04-2012 at 1:02 AM.

Jordan,

I bought a new Nova 1624 3 years ago. It has not failed me. The steps in the RPM range are well thought out and 110 volt drive has enough power. All I have ever done to the Nova is clean and oil it. Some feel that the Nova needs more mass, could be. more mass= more $$$$$ My only real regret is that it hasn't a bigger swing. I bought it on sale. Sure, there are bigger and better lathes, but not for less than $900.

Bob Haverstock

The nova at 899 is a steal. bolt it down to a homemade wood cabinet with heavy stuff stored in it and bolt the cabinet to the wall. I've used mine to turn 20 inch diameter (with the outrigger) bowls and way off center negative space designs (my signature pieces) and the lathe is up to the task. I've used mine for over a quarter of a century and I have had no repairs..not even the belt.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

The only problem with the 1442 is the reeves drive low speed is 400rpm. If you can round with a band saw should be no problem.

I totally agree with Michelle.
    C&C WELCOME

I’ve had my Nova 1624 three years with no problems. At that time they have been out about three years and had very good reviews which still continue. I paid $1200 so the current $900 is great deal imho. I have turned 15”+ bowls but most are in the 12” range (so they will fit a top kitchen cabinet). Mine has the tube steel legs and so far I have had no need to add ballast (I sorta round blanks with a chain saw).
    I did not see the DVR XP on sales this time but it is available from the service center (reconditioned) for $1700 if you really hate changing the belt position 1-2 times per turning. For me I will change the belt and keep the $800.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

It seems like the nova is the best deal for sure especially with the g3 chuck sale they have going on for 199.99 with all the jaws . The dvr looks great but It seems like a huge pain to ever get fixed because its all digital and really weird build . The 16'' jet seems really nice with the variable speed but its just so much more money. I hopefully will be getting the nova next week I have numerous things for sale to fund a new workshop so I guess I will see how bad I get beat down in price on stuff and what sells maybe I can get the 16'' jet .

I've had my Jet 1642 for a year now...it's a tank. Wait until "Black Friday" and see what Amazon has on hand.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I would only ever buy a lathe that has electronic variable speed if you want to turn bowls or hollow vessels. During the roughing stage, a 40 or 50 rpm speed change can mean a smooth turning blank, or the lathe dancing on the floor. Changing belts over 20+ years a guy will use these is really a lot of wasted time and frustration. I can change speeds 5 or 6 times while turning a bowl and sanding it. Love the electronic variable speed!

Decisions decisions ...... The belts do seem like they would be a pain turning bigger stuff and it seems like the first solid vs lathe is the 1642 correct ?

Jordan,

I would keep my eye on Craigslist for a used lathe with the features you want. Set up a search for "wood + lathe" and save it as a favorite. In my area, there are 2-3 wood lathes listed per day. Most are HF or old junk in the $100-200 range, but eventually a good one is bound to show up. You may even get some good tools or a chuck with the deal. I probably searched a few times per week for 4-5 months before finding my current lathe. A local turning club would also be a good choice to find one of the better machines.

I have electronic variable speed and love it. It is so nice to be able to slightly adjust the speed to avoid resonance. You can also turn the speed down to apply friction polish and immediately crank up the speed to finish the process.

Steve

I have a small Rikon, without the VS, and although I don't use it anymore, I turned a mess of bowls on it, at max dia. and I used a G3 or SN2. I would not hesitate to do so again, if forced. A bowl lathe it's not, but with sharp tools and good control, you can turn out some nice work. And, yes, of course you can bog it down.

While I know nothing about the 1624 personally, folks that have them seem to like them. I bought a 1642-2EVS Jet and it's a lot of machine for the $$$, which was $1200 when I bought it.

Now, if I had to buy another lathe, I'd spend a bit more and get the 3520, though I very rarely want/need to turn anything more than about 15".

Good luck with your decision.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I am not really in a big rush to get a lathe . I guess I should buy that chuck though for 200.00 regardless of getting a lathe now or not thats pretty cheap . Idk though I like the nova and the 1442 and the 1642 my local woodcraft in knoxville tn has them all and they're all nice .

Jordan, I know where you could get a Powermatic for $1800...
    I drink, therefore I am.