Thread: Suggestions on tablesaw for small workshop.

Suggestions on tablesaw for small workshop.

Sorry if this gets asked alot. I use a one car garage as my workshop. My primary hobby is woodturning. I do use the tablesaw but not that often. My current saw is a general brand contractor style saw. I would like to upgrade to cabinet style. I do not need a large saw though. The largest wood I have cut on my current saw has been 24x36 inch plywood and 2x8s. Im guessing most will recommend a Grizzly saw which is fine with me. There are also saws on CL that pop up every month and alot of older Delta cabinet saws from the 60s and 70s. I mainly want the saw for cutting small boards and trueing up blocks for turning/segmenting and I want to get into making square boxes using really nice lumber. So I am looking for a good cabinet saw with a small footprint but NOT a HYBRID. I dont like the design of them. So would you go for say an old Delta with the round fence rails or Grizzly/Shop Fox? The saw also has to be easy to adjust the saw blade to the miter slot.

Thanks,
    Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

The Griz/SF fences are nicer than the old jetlock style IMO, and offer a lot of saw for the money. You might even find an older style Unisaw with a Biese fence or Unifence. Keep your eyes peeled for a PM66, Jet Xacta, or General 350 too.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

In my opinion, used PM66 or Unisaw and you will be very happy....

Budget is a key component too.

A couple of months back I bought a Sawstop PCS. I was amazed how small the cabinet was. If you get the shorter rails, even the 1.75HP, it might be not that much more than a decent used saw, or a new Grizzly. It is a really nice saw, some very good design features (not least the safety brake). Dust collection is excellent, riving knife in/out is super easy, the fence is as good as a Biesemeyer. But if its going to cost a grand more than you thought, it might not be an option.

I have been searching and there are lots of 1940s to 1970s Unisaw models out there for an average price of about $600 plus going out to pick it up. Never have refurbished woodworking equipment before so probably my best bet is to get a Grizzly 0690 or 1023 as they look to be the best bang for your buck saws and brand new versa having to replace/upgrade parts on older saws.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

One advantage to going new is it will come with a riving knife. I have a 1023, but got it before they were putting riving knives on them. I'm very happy with my 1023, it is easy to setup, and align the slots to the blade. I got it at one of their scratch & dent sales in Springfield, MO. I think you will find that the cabinet saws actually take up less room than the contractor style saws. If you are going to move it around any, go ahead and get the mobile base when you get the saw.

Mike

Off the wall suggestiion

Jack - you might want to keep an eye out for a used INCA. I'm thinking of one like I had sometime back, the 259. Small footprint, built like a tank but with clockwork precision, nice fence, too. The only drawback is the tilting table, but I rarely used the feature.

Pricey, but well worth the money if you can find one.

Doug
    Last edited by doug faist; 10-05-2012 at 1:13 AM.

And a slot mortiser, riving knife, integrated hold downs, and SUVA guard as well. My 259 is almost 35 years old and still makes me smile every time I turn it on. It's a shame that nobody is making what's essentially a 10" table saw with a small footprint designed for solid wood joinery anymore.

Bandsaw and tracksaw could be another solution.

Most days you cant tell much difference in current model hybrid saws vs smaller cabinet saws. Cabinet mounted trunnions and enclosed motors and RKs blend the lines. Check them out before dismissing them. But along teh same argument - just get a cabinet saw with a RK I vote 5hp sawstop ICS - super nice
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

OK here's my opinion as someone who's first shop was a 10'x12' space with a shopsmith. I am blessed now with more space but having had said that, and owning a grizzly 1023slx, the foot print on hybrids .vs. a regular TS is minimal if anything. The only part that expands that is the rail size you choose. I have the griz with the 7' rails. Having moved it twice (once across half the US and back to the east coast), I can say you don't need the long rails. I got it wanting wide enought to cut ply. But after doing it a few times found that's not real practacle if you are a 1 man shop like me. I now cut down ply with my track saw. With that I'll make another reccomendation. Go get an old used unisaw. They can be had for a real song or get one someone's already rehabbed. Go to the old woodworking tools forum and check it out. Don't get me wrong my old griz has served me well for many years but I did not need to spend anywhere near what I paid for a good TS. Just my opinion, but old american Iron is the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    OK here's my opinion as someone who's first shop was a 10'x12' space with a shopsmith. I am blessed now with more space but having had said that, and owning a grizzly 1023slx, the foot print on hybrids .vs. a regular TS is minimal if anything. The only part that expands that is the rail size you choose. I have the griz with the 7' rails. Having moved it twice (once across half the US and back to the east coast), I can say you don't need the long rails. I got it wanting wide enought to cut ply. But after doing it a few times found that's not real practacle if you are a 1 man shop like me. I now cut down ply with my track saw. With that I'll make another reccomendation. Go get an old used unisaw. They can be had for a real song or get one someone's already rehabbed. Go to the old woodworking tools forum and check it out. Don't get me wrong my old griz has served me well for many years but I did not need to spend anywhere near what I paid for a good TS. Just my opinion, but old american Iron is the best way to go.

I agree. I also really like the old machinery. I dont mind getting a uni but in reality if you dont get it free then it is proabably more cost affective to get something like a G0690. I too do not need anything but the basic lenght rails since I do not work with sheet goods other than for shop tables or something along those lines. The only things about an old uni is I would have to rehab it myself and the motors are only 1 to 1.5hp and will probably need repaired also. So in the end I guess I should just save up for a Grizzly GO690 since it will do all I think I will ever need to do. But you never know what tomorrow brings when you open up the Tools section on Craigslist!

Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

All my machines are vintage, except my TS.
    What's wrong with a Hybrid? I have a Steel City, and love it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night