Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best brad point bits?

You can check the past threads for that rumor, which is now repeated as a truth, but I doubt it very much - I have both.

Lee Valley says they buy American made twist drills and put a brad point on them. They look like Vermont American brand to me, which used to be closer in quality to WL Fuller but have gone downhill a bit since Bosch bought them. Morris is also close to WL Fuller but they are a bit more oriented toward drilling machinery in a production setting than regular drill bits. I have no doubt that the Lee Valley bits would be considered fabulous for most serious hobby woodworkers and most professionals BUT the OP said he wants the best solution to drill 2500 holes of one size.

Also, WL Fuller makes a wide variety of drills, which is why I suggested contacting them for their recommendation for the exact drill they suggest for your material and specific job. They are one of the few companies that will still do that for small orders.

Famag HSS G are just as good but seem hard to get in the US and pricey. First choice if you want a brad point without the big outside lip. Also fabulous are the Festool Centrotec bits, which are worth buying if you have a Festool drill. They pretty much only sell small sizes in the US but that is an easy way to buy ONE drill bit and see how a good drill bit works for you. The Festool bits are noticeably better than the Famag Colt bits and probably equal to the WL Fuller.

I think you have to choose the right tool for the job. Recently that has meant a single 1.5" Forstner bit for $160 and a 10 pack of 1/8" bits from HF for $1.25. Carbide is great for a few jobs but the wrong choice for most wood drilling.

I suggest you call WL Fuller or email nick@wlfuller.com, where you will get a reply from someone that actually personally grinds some of the bits.

I've got both Fische and Colt both fantastic with a slight edge to the colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    The best Lee Valley bits are made by Fuller. Check past threads.
    Hi,

We don't buy anything from Fuller....

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    +1 on Gary's post.. Made by fuller, with the brad pt CNC cut by LV/Veritas
    Ummm... No.

Not Vermont American either.... try "Precision", also known by brand name "Triumph".

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Lee; 10-07-2012 at 5:41 PM.

Well, thanks Rob. I guess that's an example of something you read on the web and take for truth.

Great bits, btw.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Lee Valley sells a carbide-tipped brad point which they claim is 'for production work' and "Guaranteed to be within 0.001" at $29.

I haven't used them, but with Lee Valley's return policy, you could return them if they're not suitable.

I just bought some Montana brad point bits and they cut a nice perfect hole in epoxied teak and holly. They are made in the States. They say that they will cut 10x faster and last longer than the competition. I think I paid about $6.00 for a 3/8 bit.

I just looked up those Montana bits as I have never heard of them, Made in the USA, but oscar I think you got clipped unless they have another grade of bit http://www.amazon.com/Montana-Brand-...9960889&sr=1-1 . I do like the fact the are made here will probably buy this set and try them.

Festool bits are just as amazing as they are amazingly expensive. Colt "Twinland" brad point bits are cheap and work very well. (Available via Amazon). I have a few Fische bits that are also excellent. I bought a set of cheap carbide tipped brad points... They are merely ok. I save them for drilling something that's likely to be abrasive.

If I remember right from my days as a machinist (and I very well may not) - high speed steel can be sharpened to a more acute angle than carbide. So for softer materials (like plastics, aluminum, WOOD), a steel bit may be preferred over carbide.

But carbide can last longer.... so may do better towards the latter part of the project.

(just pointing out that carbide is not 'always' the best solution)

btw - I saw the Fuller bits in a recent McFeely's catalog.

Carl,

You do remember correctly. That is one of the reasons in a previous post that I said carbide is almost always the wrong choice for wood or plastic. Many types of HSS and carbide complicates things further.

Another post touched on the production issue where they said LV makes carbide bits for "production" work where you would have power feed, the ideal surface speed, etc. Carbide gets "sharper" at a high speed which is why router bits are generally carbide. They are also very rigid and short. Even then they try to chatter. Router bits, saw blades, drill bits cut very differently at the tool/material interface. For example, I set up a carbide forstener bit to drill oak and plastic because it is semi-automated and the last hole needs to be the same diameter and depth as the first to fit a bearing for the display.

A little bit off the specific topic but as regards buying made in the USA drill bits does anyone have experience with this company -https://www.americanmadedrillbits.com/?

Called McMaster-Carr and Fuller today to ask about some 135° split point bits and they BOTH told me that the bits they sell are made in the US. Additionally I was told that these style bits as sold by Fuller bits ARE NOT made by Fuller. The McMaster Carr bits were 1/2 price compared to the same style from Fuller (in a 29 piece 64th increments set). Both companies provide exceptional customer service and product warranties and that's the reason to buy from them, but I wonder what makes the Fuller bits worth twice as much as those sold by McMaster-Carr. Bottom line is. I'll spend twice as much to get twice as much tool but how does one really know the relative value? Both companies could very well be selling the exact drill bit. Is there a direct source for an exceptional bit directly from the manufacturer?
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I used a 26mm aka 1.02" bit from colt this past week, and it cut like butter
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

www.morriswoodtool.com. Brad point style 20CT are carbide tipped. CT will last 10 times longer than HSS. Watch your rpms and feed speed. Too fast will shorten the life of any tool. They actually make some of Fullers tooling. Believe it or not Fuller hand grinds their dovetail points. Send carbide bits to a commercial sharpener. Been buying from Morris and Fuller for 40 years.

I've got a little real-world feedback on the Veritas / Lee Valley brad point bits, from a test I ran last night.

I put a 1/8" bit in my eggbeater drill (Goodell-Pratt 5.5) and counted the revolutions to drill through a 3/4" piece of soft pine. After 4 revolutions of the bit (1-1/3 of the handle) it popped through.. and with me working at bench-height from a seated position (very little downward force).

I've never seen a bit cut so fast, and very clean. I'd purchased their 5/32"-1/4" set for my eggbeater but now have their larger set on my wish list. That's *MY* mileage.. YMMV.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!