Thread: Old Growth Douglas Fir timbers

Old Growth Douglas Fir timbers

I have a friend who has approached me regarding some reclaimed old-growth timbers that were bought by his wife's father 30-40 years ago. Originally, they were in a Hiram Walker warehouse in southern Ontario. There are 80 timbers, 6" x 8" x 24' long, stickered and covered. My little brain guesstimates this is about 90 BF per timber. I've asked him for a photo but haven't received it yet.

He will almost certainly be looking for a buyer in the near future but has no idea what he should be asking per timber. Although the potential market is small, I suspect there would be a pool of specialty woodworker or timber framers who might be interested. Does anyone here have an idea of the fair market value for such boards? My best guess would be $125-150 per timber but thats a WAG.

Best regards,

Ron

I live in the NW where old growth DF was commonly used in all kinds of industrial structures, many of which are being (and have been) dismantled. The material I have seen has been nearly clear. I would guestimate that timber is worth three times your estimate, unless it is badly mangled.

I agree. At least on the west coast using reclaimed fir for architectural work, tables and seating in restaurants, etc. has become really trendy the last few years and I've seen not very nice stuff go for ridiculous prices. My local lumber yard is currently selling a pile of nasty Doug fir 4/4 boards (stripped paint, lots of nail holes and lead) for like $4 bf and they can't get it cleaned up fast enough. I can't even imagine what serious lumber like this would go for if you find the right buyer.

Old growth DF goes for 4-7 per bd ft depending on quality here in WI. Dave

I finally got a chance to personally look at this stash of timbers. They are 21.5 feet long and a nominal 4x6, approximately 43 BF per timber. They are clear, no metal, stickered and covered. All of the ones I could see were straight.

Regards,

Ron Kellison
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-20-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Hi Ron,

I am wondering if those 4"x6" Douglas Fir timbers of your friend's ever found a home. We may be interested in some of them if they are available.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Gary