Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mantel Carving - design, in process, and installation pictures.

Mantel Carving - design, in process, and installation pictures.

I hope to be posting a lot of pictures here in the next couple hours. So you may not want to post until I get everything up. I'll put up 7 posts for placeholders, and then post the pix. I thought it was an interesting process, so I hope you all will enjoy it.

This first set of pictures shows some of my design process. It's mostly a series of sketches I did, trying to generate ideas for a design, and finally some full size sketches of the panel. As you'll see in the next post, that idea was nixed by our designer.

The first picture is an elevation made in Cabinet Vision Solid Ultimate. One has to draw up the room and have cabinet designs before one can place a carving on them. I'm only responsible for the carving on this project though, so that's mostly what you'll see here. Someone else drew up the room. But they did have me in mind when they drew this up. Hence the note to "see Jim". My copy of this elevation is a little worse for wear. It rode back and forth to work for reasons you'll see in the next picture.
    AElevations.jpg
    Now you can see a series of sketches drawn over a period of weeks trying to generate ideas and get the general layout of the mantel carving. Many were drawn at random times, like when I should have been listening to a sermon. Scribbly and rough, I know...
    BRoughSketchesIdeas.jpgDRoughSketchesIdeas2.jpg
    This series of sketches were drawn quickly on rectangles representing the panel at scale.
    CScaleSketchesWBorder.jpg
    Below, you see my desk where I slaved over a full size drawing for most of a Saturday. The drawing was made on 1/8" MDF. I borrowed a crepe abrasive cleaner for use as an erasor. It's used for cleaning our edgesander at work. I also borrowed a bench brush from the final assembly department to brush away the eraser crumbs. I used up several #2 pencils in the process. Here I've chosen one of the sketches upon which to base the carving. Try to guess which sketch this was based on.
    GFInitialFullSizeDrawing2.jpg
    If you look at these photos closely, you'll see that I bought several books on carving during this process. I bought a total of four, and had a couple more in my possession. I perused these things for weeks... You'll also see a carving from another glass door project I completed earlier in the year.
    GInitialFullSizeDrawing3Inprogress.jpg
    And finally I have the full size drawing completed. Now to screw up my courage and present it to the designer for approval.
    HInitialFullSizeDrawing4Inprogress.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 10-06-2012 at 7:52 AM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Meanwhile, the cabinets were being built, finish applied, and the framing for the corner was going in. And I still hadn't even started modeling the relief! Yeah, I was feeling the pressure. Good thing about it was that I could set the full size drawing in place, and evaluate placement of elements, then return to my desk and redraw.
    ShowroomFraming1.jpg

The initial drawing was passed on as too ornate, and "feathery". The layout and general idea was embraced, but the elements were redrawn with smoother, simpler lines and less leafy elements. Again, drawing, evaluating, erasing and redrawing...
    IFinalDrawingFullnProgress.jpg
    You can see both drawings in this photo. I still like the first one the best.
    JFinalDrawingFullnProgress2.jpg

This drawing was approved, and I opted to scan this half into ArtCAM as is, and mirror the relief rather than draw it in entirety. One might wonder why I chose to draw it full scale, rather than just draw it up in ArtCAM in the first place. My reasoning was that this was a more direct method that could be set in place on location, evaluated and adjusted as needed until I got the right look.
    KFinalDrawingFullnProgress3.jpg

After 7 or 8 hours of drawing, one tends to get a little punchy:
    Punchy1.jpg

The following Monday I imported the photo of the full size drawing into ArtCAM. I scaled it to a vector representing half the width of the mantel panel. You can see the drawing and the first modeling vectors in the photo below.
    ScanAndVectors.jpg
    And this is the first element drawn up. I create all the element's vectors and reliefs in separate layers so that each element can be manipulated separately without having to redraw the whole relief everytime a correction or adjustment is made. And even better, I can reuse these elements for future carvings.
    ReliefModeling1.jpg
    Second element finished. You might also wonder why I took pictures of the monitor rather than using screen captures. Screen captures would have had more definition. I wanted the viewer to see that I had physically been at my desk, working on this. I'm not just a digital presence...
    ReliefModeling2.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 10-06-2012 at 9:29 AM.

The third element has been added. Keep in mind that each of these major elements have sub elements and are constantly being evaluated, tweaked and adjusted during the process. So it does take a bit of time, at least for me.

ReliefModeling3.jpg
    I'm using the shape editor in the photo below to create the third major relief element using vectors. Unless you know ArtCAM or a similar program you won't really know what I'm doing here. Hopefully you can see I have a clue what I'm doing, though...
    ModelingShapeEditor.jpg
    Rendering in a woodgrain and color to visualize what it might look like.
    ReliefModeling4Render.jpg

One of the cool things about ArtCAM is that you can render with actual photos overlaid onto your relief. This shows the relief with my scanned drawing overlaid on the relief.
    ReliefModeling4.jpg

Central elements taking shape.
    ReliefModeling5Render.jpg

More central elements added.
    ReliefModeling6Render.jpg

Another rendering in a wood likeness.
    ReliefModeling6Render2.jpg

Now you can see how far behind I am. The cabinets are built and mostly installed. The framing is mostly complete except for what the rockwork needs, and they're waiting on me to finish the carving so they can build the mantel panels... YIKES!
    ShowroomInstall.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 10-06-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Now the framing for the rockwork is done.
    ShowroomInstall2.jpg

Good thing I'm nearly done with the modeling!
    FullReliefModel.jpg
    After hours and hours of modeling, I'm done. And a bit on the silly side:
    Punchy3.jpg
    Hmmmm... and it turns out I don't have the rest of my modified photos here at the house... I'll have to pull them from somewhere else.
    However, the next thing is to place toolpaths on this relief, and I made a video of that. So when I post next you can see the process while I explain it a bit.

If someone will explain how to embed a video, I'll do that here instead of a link....

This is the machine I get to play with most days. It's a KOMO VR510 Mach1SB11. Decoding the designation: Vertical Router with a 5x10 table. Mach 1 series with a binary, 11 pocket drill bank. I converted it to a 9 verticals drill bank instead of the 7 vertical, 4 horizontal (7+4=11), because it's really inefficient to bore horizontally with a CNC router, one part and one drill at a time. Anyway, it has a 10 pocket automatic toolchanger which is extremely nice until the pocket sensor fails and the spindle knocks the carousel off. (but that's a story for another day.) I wish I had 20 pockets...
    KomoMachineATC.jpg

If you watched the video, you'll probably recognize this is the roughing stage of the carving. The idea is to get as much waste material out of the way so the carving bit doesn't get so much stress. I use a 1/2" downshear bit in a contour mode. I opened the dust shroud for the pictures. It just wouldn't be exciting without seeing chips fly! Roughing path first pass:
    RoughingStart.jpgRoughingChips.jpg

Roughing path second and third pass and a closeup. This is a solid cherry panel, and I'm leaving 1/4" as a base. The finished piece like an onlay, but if you look at the wood grain, you know it's a solid piece. AND you can't buy solid wood onlays this large...
    RoughingShroudOpen.jpgRoughingCutHalfDownShear.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 10-07-2012 at 6:58 AM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

This is where the magic happens. As the 1/8" tapered ballnose runs a raster cut with 10% stepover, the relief appears before your eyes. I'm using an Onsrud 1/8" x 3 flute tapered ballnose, and a 1/16" tapered ballnose from Beckwith Decor. They are great bits.

CarvingNearingEnd.jpgCarving.jpgCarvingEighthInCloseup.jpg

I think this is the 1/16" ballnose dropping down in the small crevices that the 1/8" ballnose couldn't reach. If I had it to do over again, I'd just run a straight raster cut over the whole thing with the small bit. The Machine Rest function of ArtCAM leaves a LOT to be desired. It took one guy a couple of days to sand out all the divots. It would have been cheaper to run the machine for a few more hours.
    CarvingCloseup.jpgCarvingEighthInBallnose.jpg
    And here is how long it took to machine- 4 hours 57 minutes.
    CycleTime.jpg

Still on the bed, left and right halves of the carving.
    LeftSideCarving.jpgCarvingRightHalf.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 10-07-2012 at 7:12 AM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

dont worry i am watching!!

A couple more shots of the carving right off the router table. You can see some nubblies on the end grain, from the carving, but those are not a problem. They sand right off easily. It's the divots casued by that "machine rest" feature that cause the problems. Next time I'll just run the 1/16" bit over the whole relief, and save some time sanding. Took one man two days to sand out all that stuff.
    CarvingCenterCloseup.jpgCarvedWholeRelief.jpg

Now the relief panel has been assembled in the door frame, and the mantel assembled and puttied. It needs some sanding before it goes to the finishing room.
    AssemblingMantelPanels.jpg

Well that was quick sanding! Here it is in the finishing booth getting some final touchups. It's been stained, sealed, glazed and top coated.
    FinishingBooth.jpgFinishingGlazing.jpg
    Here is a cloaseup of the glazing job. You can see how this thing's going to look now.
    FinishingCloseup.jpg
    In the showroom, ready for installation. They were really ready for this thing. Shows how far behind I was...
    ReadyForInstall2.jpgReadforInstall.jpg
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Installed! Finally.

Installed1.jpgInstallPreRockWork.jpgMantelInstalledCloseup.jpg

Rockwork goes in next.
    FinalInstallNoTrim.jpgInstalledWRockwork.jpg
    Then the trim gets run, and TV installed.
    WideAngleFinalInstallTrim.jpgFinalInstallWTrim.jpg
    The gas has been run, but the burner hasn't been installed yet. But this should be sufficient. I think that's enough pictures....

Yeah?
    Jim.jpg

Just had to include that last photo didn't I? Wife snapped that picture just as I made a face. Laughed her head off when she saw it on screen...
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 10-07-2012 at 4:02 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I hope you all have enjoyed seeing this project from start to finish. I know I enjoyed the development and creative process, and even more, the satisfaction of seeing it all come to life. If you enjoyed it or benefited from seeing it, please leave comments.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

There are no words to describe how beautiful that is, Jim. Thanks for sharing the process, interesting to see how you went through the steps. I'm sure the owners were thrilled, and it was worth the wait. Little surprised as to how many divots the machine rest feature produced, the whole purpose of it is to clean up the area. What was used to sand the project overall, and what was used to remove the divots, looks like you needed the patience of Job to get them all cleaned up. Wonderful work!!

George
    George

Thank you George. A piece of 150 or 180 sandpaper was used to sand the divots, plus a couple of wood dowels or something like. I did use a dremel tool with a sanding cylinder on all the places with easily accessed sides. But down in the crevices, it was just patience and sandpaper. I'd NOT have spent that much time sanding if it was me. But the guy who did it is, evidently, more patient and meticulous than I am!

Next time I'll run the 1/16" bit across the whole relief, and then buy some of those really small flap sanders for the dremel.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Looks great!!!! We currently use multi cam, but I'm not a huge fan. How do you like art cam?
    24" x 36" 100 watt laser w/ pass thru and custom 36" rotary • 60 x 120 CNC w/ 8 tool changer • 62" film laminator • 54" 6 color mild solvent printer / cutter

Newest addition to the family.... 60" x 120" flatbed UV printer. 4" max part height.

Synergy Sign & Graphics LLC
    147 Stoutt Drive NE
    Strasburg, OH 44680

Blog Entries
    Beautiful Work...... and I am not going to ask where the access door is so you can have access to the wall receptacles behind the fireplace.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Jim Dawson,
    I really like ArtCAM. Wish I could use it more.

Von Bickley,
    Thanks! And I won't answer since you're not asking...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

corners are always tricky,, excellent work !!