Thread: Gone all artsy!

Gone all artsy!

This is quite a departure from my norm, but at SWAT this year I saw a piece in the Instant Gallery that got me wondering "how did he do that?" Turned out the turner was Craig Timmerman and he was demonstrating that very piece. Needless to say I went to that demo and was so intrigued that I decided to try it out. I had a block of Eucalyptus that I won at our club and had been wondering what to use it for. It was the perfect piece of wood for this project.

3side-1.jpg3side-2.jpg3side-3.jpg3side-4.jpg3side-5.jpg

The lid is made from the "core" of the top bowl. Once done I could see it was begging for a finial - which I had never done before. I couldn't lay my hands on any contrasting wood in my shop so I used a piece of "mystery wood" that I had found turned very clean for my 1st attempt at a finial. I even managed to do it entirely with a skew, also a 1st for me! The top of the finial is intended to be a miniature of the bowl form, which I achieved with some help from my Dremel. I have already been told I didn't get a continuous curve on the thin part of it, maybe next time

The finish is one coat of Danish Oil followed by numerous coats of Deft Sanding Sealer, buffed between coats, then waxed.

C&C welcome.

I'd say you succeeded. Nice work.

Well it's obvious you were paying attention at the demo. That is an excellent piece of work! No critique nor nits from me.

Kelvin, this is very nicely done with fine details and finish. I've not seen this shape before, but have done a rockin box on the same/similar premise but then hollowed out, vs dished on both sides as this is. I like this alot ... great job! I will have to try this one.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Beautiful work! Yes the finial could have been a bit smoother in transition but really it doesn't matter because the piece looks so good just like it is. I have a square bowl I started soom time ago when I saw a local guy do one, but I just wasn't good enough to finish it at the time. One of these days I will put it back on when I figure out how to hold it.
    Darren in Oshawa

6. Nice work Kelvin! We have a turner in our club who has done that style...........he demo'd it for our club a couple years ago, and has told me to come over to his shop and he will give me a live tutorial.........might have to make time for that. Nice when you can pull off something new isn't it?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Kelvin - this is very nice! I really like the clean lines and the subtle detail lines inside the bowl portion. Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful Kelvin. I really like the clean lines and the finish is spot on.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve, I had to smile when I read your comment about the detail lines. That was one of those "design opportunities". I was measuring for the recess for the lid with my calipers and overestimated on my first attempt When I realized it was too deep to sand out I decided to make it a feature. One looked lonely so I added a 2nd!

Very nice piece Kelvin. I like all of the design elements (on purpose or not)! You should do more of these and continue to refine the concept.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Kevin,
    You were a good student at the demo. You have created a stunning piece
    Congrats on a great turning.

Very nice piece. While I think I might be able to see a flat spot in the curve of the finial, I don't think it's an issue. This is really impressive.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum