Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Design Critiques #7 Frank Gehry

Design Critiques #7 Frank Gehry

Here is a fun one ...The chairs of architect Frank Gehry...
    Some are ...yes cardboard, a wood product
    some are wood...tell me what you think....I don't think Frank vists SMC so you can say what is on your mind...if he does visit...he can take it!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 04-17-2005 at 10:03 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Question

smooth....flowing....most are too busy......simple ....complex..... each of the chairs has it's own character but all have one common characteristic. They look to be ergonomically designed? They appear to have a shape that would make them comfortable to use. Most, to me, are too busy and therefore are not of my liking. Just my humble opinion.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Despite the fact that these are all different in materials and methods, there is a noticable theme throughout the whole series you posted...specifically the way the curves flow. While most are not something I'd like to own, I appreciate the design and creativity that went into them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've always enjoyed his cardboard designs -- definitely creative and fun!

In the third pic -- the one with three pieces in it -- there's an armchair in the middle. I think all the pieces in that group are made from sheets of honeycomb cardboard (like the inside of most hollow-core doors). Can anybody explain how he makes the material form to that vase-shaped compound curve?

They look alot like the kinds of projects my brother used to make when he was in artchitecure school. I don't know if I see them as truly serious pieces of furniture but I like that he has the ability to explore boundaries so well. He must be a very creative person and it appears that he enjoys challenging himself. I think the final chair shows real problem solving. At first I thought that I wouldn't expect the back to be strong enough. After looking at the chair more and seeing the angle of the legs it seems to be enough to negate the leverage expressed on the bottom of the back. Is this the case Mark or am I off on this?
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Hmmm

To me the cardboard pieces are interesting exercise in a new material, but I guess I can't see myself owning any of these pieces. The design challenge is probably alot more intriguing if you think about the properties of cardboard, but I don't know much about corrugated cardboard.

The bentwood charis are more practical, has the flowing quality of those drawings where you are suppose to draw with a single continuous line, all without lifting up the pen. You can definitely visualize what his original sketches look like. It pushes bent wood beyond the common use you see in mid century modern pieces, and almost has a art deco / art novuelle feel to them.

They all look like they would be very comfortable, but they are not to my taste. I grew up in the country and country is what I love! (Yes I like the song too! ) Anyway, I am more of a fan of shaker furniture than the artists like Frank. He does do some neat looking work, just not to my taste.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

When I see work of this nature I always ask myself “What is the artist trying to do?” In this case, I don’t think he is looking to provide functional furniture. I don’t think that any of the cardboard pieces could be used, or at least not for long. Can the cardboard ones even be bought? The wood ones could be used but I don’t think that he intends them to be used. Maybe he is reaching out to find something in design. Something new. Something that makes people see chairs in a different way. In some of the pieces a casual viewer might not even recognize some of these as chairs until they have looked at them for more than a passing glance. Hmmmm…. It would really be nice if he did read this thread and explained to us what he was working toward. I do like the creative process and I think that his use of cardboard is certainly a new material in the making of a chair. Did he design his first cardboard chair back in the 60’s? I myself only like the last chair. It almost seems like many of them contain too much. I would have liked the others more if he had stopped designing earlier in the design process. They almost look as if they have two distinct parts to them, the support structure and the sit on part. Many have a great amount of structure. Some of the sitting areas almost seem to be hidden in the negative space. The chaise lounge and the rocking chair look this way to me.
    Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to have someone else make all of the designs that you think of? I am sure that he just designs these and has someone else make them. I have many chair designs but no time to make them.
    He also has some outdoor furniture that is made out of a plastic material, maybe fiberglass. They have a bloated look to them.
    Pete Lamberty

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Lamberty
    Can the cardboard ones even be bought?
    Yes, the chair in the bottom pic is in current production. I've also seen a retail source for another of his cardboard chairs which looks a little bit like ribbon candy.

I'd have to say that I don't really like the cardboard stuff...too much activity in the design for me. But the others, I thought were pretty inventive, although I wouldn't buy them, being a traditionalist and all.... Except...with one exception, I like the idea of the one-piece curvy rocker thing for a kids playroom. I think kids would like it. (the third from the bottom)
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Faintly interesting but not in my house thank you.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Only an architect could have come up with such innovative designs. In my very limited reading and exposure to design I have noticed that architects have a very strong focus on shape and form. As opposed to a woodworkers focus on classical designs, finish and intricate details. Perhaps it comes from training each goes through.

These pieces are certainly unique, at least I can see a certain commonality in terms of flowing symmetrical designs. I really like the lounge chair/day bed in picture #3. Overall they look like studio furniture, I am not sure any of there designs will fit in an average house hold.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I think Frank is a very talented man with alot of creativity, with that said the only piece that I like is fourth picture of the chair. It all is a very busy for me. I grew up with southern roots and that has alot of influence on me still. I want to be more open, but just can't see my house with that kind of furniture.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

Extreme! I like to get out of the box once in awhile also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Here is a fun one ...The chairs of architect Frank Gehry...
    Some are ...yes cardboard, a wood product
    some are wood...tell me what you think....I don't think Frank vists SMC so you can say what is on your mind...if he does visit...he can take it!

Uh ... Um ... Hm ...

That about sums it up for me.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.