Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has built a Chevalet for Marquetry?

Who has built a Chevalet for Marquetry?

I am wondering if anyone has one or has built a Chevalet for Marquetry. Please chime in if you have built one or have one and how you like it. Here is a lick to a school that uses them to teach this old art form. Also has anyone been to this school as well?

American School of French Marquetry - W. Patrick Edwards

www.wpatrickedwards.com/newschool.htm

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I know a woman who built a chevalet from the kit that Patrick Edwards sells. It came out well and worked fine. She also took a course at Patrick Edwards' school. But once she built the chevalet, I'm not sure she ever did any marquetry again. I think she was more interested in furniture construction than marquetry (she enjoyed building the chevalet). She also used to joke about where to store the chevalet. She said she was going to put it in her living room as a conversation piece (it's pretty big).

There are different kinds of marquetry, both in design and technique for cutting it out. Before you choose a school, make sure you know that the way they teach marquetry is the way you want to do it. If you're looking at schools on the west coast, check out Paul Schurch's school, also. He offers a marquetry course every November, if I recall. Patrick Edwards is very traditional and teaches people how to do the marquetry patterns that were popular back in the time of Boulle. Paul Schurch is much more modern.

On the east coast, it's Silas Kopf. He does some amazing stuff (modern, and very difficult).

If you want to do modern marquetry, you'll have to be creative. It's all about coming up with a good design (design turns out to be maybe a third of the project time). I've encouraged Paul Schurch to sell some of his designs - for people who want to do marquetry but don't have design ability - but so far he's not chosen to do that.

Mike

[Before you dive too deeply into marquetry, try a few parquetry patterns to see how you like working veneer into intricate designs.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-08-2012 at 4:01 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, PM .... sent
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard - there is one progressing on a different forum.

http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworki...e-marqueterie/

Doug thanks for the tip. He also posted it on the Lumber J. Forum as well.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Can one of you guys tell us what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Can one of you guys tell us what it is?
    Here's a good explanation (click on the link).

Basically, it's used to cut a packet of many sheets of veneer into pieces that can be used in a marquetry design. In the time of Boulle, the marquetry was often a repeating pattern with many of the same pieces in the design. It's a difficult process because the background is cut separately from the pieces described earlier, so it takes great accuracy in the cutting so that things fit without gaps.

The chevalet (or donkey) has a foot operated clamp, and a blade that is carried in a mechanism that keeps the blade "square" to the veneer packet. So each piece cut from the packet is exactly the same size. The blade cannot be turned so the packet has to be turned for a cut around a curve. The operator would release the clamp pressure (foot operated) turn the packet, re-clamp and cut some more. People who are proficient at it can do those motions pretty quickly.

You can do the same thing with a scroll saw, and if you use a variable speed scroll saw, you can slow it down to mimic the operation of the chevalet.

It's mostly used for marquetry in the Boulle tradition. Most people who do modern style marquetry use a scroll saw.

Mike

Here's a link to Boulle in Wikipedia. Do a Google search on "chevalet de marqueterie" and you'll find more about the tool.
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-09-2012 at 8:34 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Mike, I just learned something!

Have you seen the Inlay Razor that was designed by Geoff Noden (Adjust-a-Bench)? I know nothing about marquetry, but I have seen him demonstrate this at shows and it looks pretty cool.

Steve

Steve I have seen the videos on the Inlay Razor. It looks pretty cool for doing inlay bandings. It is somewhat limited in the designs you can do. As you can only make profiles out as big as a razor blade but it looks like you can get pretty fancy all the same. I think it has a place.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I am a newbie here, and I realize that this thread is old, but I have just completed a chevalet de marqueterie.

Congrats, let's see some pics!

Beautiful job building your chevalet.
    I learned Marquetry from Paul Schurch many years ago. His method is what I still use today. I have researched and considered taking a course from Patrick Edwards and learning his methods. I definitely think using a chevalet for Marquetry results in superior results. But, I have a hard time wrapping my noggin around cutting with such a huge and archaic device? I have seen some very amazing Marquetry that was produced simply using a fret saw and a "V" board mounted to a bench. I am sure I would be sold on a chevalet if I took a course and realized it's potential.

Mike great job on the chevalet. I end up going to San Diego a few years back and took a class with Patrick Edwards at his school “American School of French Marquetry”. It was a great experience and would highly recommend his class for anyone interested in Marquetry and using a chevalet. I built a chevalet as well. I made mine out of Ash. What kind of wood did you use on yours?

John cutting on the chevalet defiantly does not feel like you are using a huge or archaic device. In fact you have more control than with a fret saw and can cut a piece as small as your eyes can handle with or without a magnifying visor.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006