Thread: Broken Fence on Delta Mortiser Model 14-650

Broken Fence on Delta Mortiser Model 14-650

Today I had some ash swell around a 3/8" mortise chisel/bit and bind the chisel to the point I had to apply leverage to raise the drill. I made the mistake of using the post on the fence and the force broke the cast iron rod (about 13/16" diameter) used to set the fence location. The rod is an integral part of the fence and now the fence part is no longer stocked. I was wondering if anyone knew of a fence that might be available. Otherwise, it looks like I will need to be making a clamp fence and hold down. I am going to check into having the broken rod brazed, but that may not be the best option. So far, I have make a fixture and drilled a 1/8" hole in the broken face of both parts and have good alignment. It looks like a rod up to about 3/8" diameter could be inserted in 2 pieces before brazing. Comments?

I feel your pain. I did the same thing to my delta and I wasn't a happy camper to find out the fence wasn't available anymore. How can this tool be functional without it's fence? How do you justify not having this part to replace a broken one? I have since stopped buying delta products because of this.
    I bought a steel city mortiser but I still use the delta because I have more inches below the chisel with it then the steel city one. I made a fence for it out of plywood and 2" aluminum angle iron.

Thomas, why don't you just repair your old fence? It should not be that difficult if you have a vise, grinder and a drill press.

You should be able to pick up a short piece of appropriately sized metal rod from Amazon Supply or McMaster. Grind a flat along one side for the set screw.

Next, if needed grind the broken post portion of the old fence flat so that can drill it out. Clamp the fence flat side down on a drill press table (before hand make sure that your drill press table is 90 degrees to the quill), and center the post under the quill. Start drilling it out (I'd drill about 80% of the way through), moving up to larger sized bits as needed until you reach the appropriate size.

You want a tight, slip fit for the new round rod in the hold. Flux it and sweat some silver solder in, and you're done.

Alternatively, you can have a local machine shop do the same thing. It would probably be a little easier (and more precise) to use a vertical mill for drilling out the old post.

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=122169

Maybe this would help. It is FS on OWWM BOYD site.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Thanks for the comments. I was on my last mortise when the fence broke yesterday and I finished up this morning using a piece of wood clamped to the table. I did make a drill guide drilling a 13/16" hole about 1" deep and then drilling a 1/8" through hole in a block of wood. The CI rod section is just under 13/16" and about 3 wraps of masking tape gave me a good tight fit to drill pilot holes in both pieces. A friend gave me the name of a local welder and I have taken the pieces there to be brazed. The good thing is that the only really big requirement is that the face of the fence be vertical since the mortise chisel is manually aligned with the fence. If the brazing does not work out, then I'll continue to use a wood fence but will look at a better mounting arrangement.

Is this not an opportunity to retrofit an xy vise?Here is the result of a random google search that illustrates the idea:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6zvlk/id12.html

I have an almost brand new fence assembly somewhere in my shop that you're welcome to have if you still need one Thomas. I'm in Canada (BC) though, so please PM me if interested.

I set my older Delta up with an X-Y vise and am no longer using the fence.

Thomas -

Just down the road from you is this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...le-(See-Inside)

In case the whole brazing thing doesn't work out. I've got one and enjoy the heck out of it.

Where were all these free fences when I was looking for one????