Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: considering a jointer

considering a jointer

New to the group but not new to woodworking. I'm toying with the idea of a jointer. My needs are simple and a 4" unit would suit me just fine, much larger would be overkill. I'm looking at low end equipment to see how much I would really use it, if not much then I'm not out too much money, if I use it often then I would upgrade. The three I briefly looked at are a Grizzly 6", a Harbor Freight 7" and an old Craftsman King Seeley. The Craftsman is the cheapest, it seems the Grizzly and the Craftsman both do not have an adjustable outfeed table, the Craftsman and HF both have a 3 blade cutter head while the Grizzly has 2 blades. The HF turns a little over 4K, the Grizzly turns over 20K, not sure about the Craftsman.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd consider 6" as your minimum to start out. I have the Ridgid 6". It's quite good and has suited me fine. You can find them used in the $200 range. Buying a used jointer would be a good idea - you won't lose much if you decide to sell it (when you realize you actually want an 8" jointer).

I agree with Victor. 6" is a good common size, and easy to find second hand. Not many people want 4" jointers, so if you decide you don't need one, it will be a lot easier to move a 6". I'd be willing to wager that you will keep it though.

Actually both the Grizzly and Craftsman are both 6", the HF is 7".

Personally I'd shy away from the HF. I think many of their tools are excellent values (the 2hp dust collector is a woodworking community favorite), but I would be a bit gunshy about getting a tool from HF that requires precise adjustment and calibration. Otherwise you will be cutting tapers and not knowing if it's the machine or your technique. JMHO.

When I started out I got a small ryobi bench top 6" variable speed unit. That thing cut as smooth as anything

Not long ago I saw a CL ad on a used one. $30. ( posted it over in the deals section)

I mention this because you state your needs are simple. For me at the time it was very useful to be able to put it away.

Otherwise a used 6" stationary would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    ...and not knowing if it's the machine or your technique. JMHO.
    Quoted for emphysis. This holds true for all tool purchases in the beginning. The instinct is to go inexpensive figuring it woud be okay and I'll upgrade later. However the truth is a poor machine and a beginner's lack of experience to compare with leads to frustration. You struggle to get accurate cuts and never know if it's you or the machine. Personal experience here, get a better 6" jointer.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Blog Entries
    The market abounds with used 6" jointers from folks who thought they didn't need an 8". If you have gone this long without, I will assume the type of work you do wouldn't really require an 8" and possible not a 6". If you are working small pieces, a small, lightweight machine may work for you but, small lightweight machines are rarely well made so, don't get a bad opinion of jointers from a bad jointer . For the sizes you are talking about I would be tempted to deal with them by hand unless there are multiples. things like toy trucks, tableware, flag cases, urns, etc. where you do many of the same operation is the perfect place for a machine to help out. I seem to be rambling. Not sure if any of that helped.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Greg,

I understand the constraints of budget and space, but FWIW I can't remember reading anyone here say that the machine they bought is too good. In other words, since you can't be sure what kind of work your interest in woodworking will lead you to, it usually pays to buy a little bit better than you think you need, maybe spending a bit more money than you planned.

Though I have a Delta X5 stationary 6" jointer in my shop, I recently picked up the Delta 6" portable jointer for use on the jobsite for kitchen fillers, jamb extensions, etc.

Haven't heard too many good things about the small portables, but I got it in place of getting the entire bench unit for my Festool 850 handheld planer, and in place if it, I'm pretty impressed with the small Delta. (I actually sold my Festool planer as aside from a small bench jointer, I didn't really have a pressing use for it.)

It's got variable speed, is relatively quiet and has great dust collection. Obviously not for 8' long lumber, but within it's limits, it seems to be a very capable machine. For a small shop, I'd have no hesitance in recommending it for simple face and edge jointing.

That, and the fact that I see them on CL all day long for about $125 makes them a good choice in some circumstances imo.

Julian

Added note: My advice in ANY woodworking tool purchase is to buy used.

If you buy smart used, the tool will never loose any value. A good used buy means you can always sell it for exactly what you paid for it and probably more if you list it smart (good pictures, good description, simple wipe down, wire brush rusted knobs, etc...)

Even like new Powermatic 54A 6" jointers I've seen on CL for as low as $350-450 - those are over $1000 or so these days new...

My X5 Delta 6" Craigslist purchase had never been used - still had the protective paper on the cutterhead and I paid $300 with the Delta mobile base - the combo would've cost close to $8-900 new.

Julian

Buy a 6 inch minimum. Once you have a jointer you will realize how valuable it is in reducing lumber costs and use it more often than you think. I have had my dad's 50's era 6" Delta Homecraft for years and recently bought a used Griz 8". I won't sell the 6" but will mainly use the 8". You will repeatedly hear to buy an 8" first because that is what you ultimately will end up with and I agree. That said, if you are convinced 4" is all you need listen to everyone who has been there before you and buy at least a 6". Also, buy used. As someone also said, there are plenty of those being sold when the 8" replacement is purchased.
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Greg, maybe I missed it - but do you have a budget in mind. You'll get better guidance that way.

But you can find 6" jointers cheap on CL. I'd pass on the 4".
    Where did I put that tape measure...

If you are looking for a benchtop, you can get a 6" in pretty much the same footprint as the 4". I had a Craftsman version with the cast table and fence. The downside to this for me was the short table, fence adjustment, and noise. This one used a universal motor like a shop vacuum and it was only slightly quieter than the planer. There are some old-school 6" jointers available of the benchtop type that are induction motor driven. However, they take up about as much room as a standard floor model 6". I have a Delta 37-220 6" now and while its probably not what I want long term, it fits the space, a big improvement over the Craftsman and I'm only in it about $100. I sold the Craftsman for $100, bought this one for $180, and put about $20 worth of wiring into it. It had original knives, so I did buy new ones and I can't remember what they cost.

Sounds like all you have in mind is some edge jointing. If this is the case, you really don't need a jointer. Edge jointing can be done just as well on a router table with an off set fence. You can also use a table saw jig. I mention this because smaller jointers can often be pretty bad. Particularly the fences which are the key to getting a nice square edge. While a shop built solution can be as precise and stout as you want it to be.

My point is, no jointer may actually be better than a really light weight machine.
    Last edited by johnny means; 10-10-2012 at 8:52 PM.