Thread: Problem with new Delta Unisaw

Problem with new Delta Unisaw

Hey guys, I got my new unisaw in last week and finally got to installing the extension wings last night. I ran into a problem and I was wondering what you guys think the best course or action would be.

When installing the wings, it was impossible to get them perfectly flush with the table top. The ends of the wings end up higher than the table top and the middle ends up lower than the table top. The big thing is I can't tell if the wings are cupped or the top is bowed. When I put my level a straightedge across either of them they appear flat. I guess I have no highly accurate means of measuring what is off. The highest point of difference where the wings and top meet, I estimated to be about 1/2 mm. Very noticeable with your finger.

What do you guys suggest I do? Is this all I can expect out of a supposed precision piece of equipment? I would also really hate to have to pack this thing up and send it to Delta. Even if they send me a new top and wings I'm probably going to wait several weeks for those. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't have gone with the powermatic. I remember seeing something about them machining their tops and wings together.

Thanks!

2. Being that the Unisaw is brand new, I believe you have only one course of action...contact Delta (or the distributor from whom you purchased).

First off I'm not familiar at all with the "NEW" Unisaw and how the wings are made, so not sure this applies? On the older Uni's this is typical and if you search you'll find lots of advice for aligning the wings. Usually it's something along the lines of getting one end flush and clamping it then gently tightening and clamping across the width of the top using a deadblow to get it flat. Cast iron will flex a bit into shape. Once it's flat you tighten the bolts and your ready to go!

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    First off I'm not familiar at all with the "NEW" Unisaw and how the wings are made, so not sure this applies? On the older Uni's this is typical and if you search you'll find lots of advice for aligning the wings. Usually it's something along the lines of getting one end flush and clamping it then gently tightening and clamping across the width of the top using a deadblow to get it flat. Cast iron will flex a bit into shape. Once it's flat you tighten the bolts and your ready to go!

good luck,
    JeffD
    Ditto what Jeff said.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

½ mm translates to about .020 and should be easy to see with a straight edge. I suspect that your dip is less than .020. I had a center dip when I set up my 1998 Unisaw and worked it out as Jeff describes. I was able to get it to within .002 using a dial indicator and I can still feel the step with my finger tips. You might want to invest in a dial/test indicator to see exactly how big the step really is. I find them invaluable for setting up machinery.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Get one end even at the bolt, then tighten the bolt, get the center even, then tighten the center bolt, get the other end even & tighten that bolt.
    As Jeff said, a clamp may be needed.

Thanks guys, I gave Delta a call to see what they would say. They actually advised I do the same thing, get the front and middle level and tighten down, then clamp the rear. Going to see how it goes tonight.

So I got the wings on and fairly flush. Now I have a new issue. The fence face is not totally flat. It is out as much as .005 in a couple places. Also, it is not angled properly to the table. It tilts slightly towards the blade, about the thickness of a business card visible at the bottom. The problem is that delta decided not to have leveling screws on the unisaw fence for whatever genius reason.

Any ideas?

Deviations as small as 0.005" get pretty tough to measure accurately. Does the deviation in the flatness of the fence effect the cut? If not, I wouldn't sweat it. You should be able to shim the vertical angle back to 90° using some thick tape under the t-section.....it's not smart to have eliminated those basic adjustments IMO, but it's easy enough to fix.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I drilled and tapped my T-square fence for nylon socket screws on the top side. The screws ride on the fence and I use them to adjust the fence square to the table. It is a pretty inexpensive and quick fix. Maybe not as cheap and quick as tape, but easier to dial in IMHO.