Thread: Router table top questions?

Router table top questions?

I was going to make a router table but when Rockler had a sale on a router table top, fence and plate for $129 I couldn't resist. The top is 1 1/8" thick MDF with laminate on both sides. How would you attach the top to the steel stand....wood screws, sheet metal screws, or someother type of screw? I have never had good results when screwing into MDF and don't want to ruin the top. Also, I was surprised when I saw the edges were all raw MDF, no edging. Would you seal the edges with shellac or poly? Thanks for your help.

Shellac or poly works for the edges. As for attaching it pre-drill the hole and use something with deep coarse threads.

Blog Entries
    If it were me I'd drill from top and counter sink screw.

MDF sucks up shellac and makes a pretty durable finish. And it dries fast. (but isnt water proof.....)

Maybe consider some threaded inserts to attach - these you drill and tap into the tabletop (I glue them in), and then your bolt threads into them. I prefer tapping over the 'self tapping' variety, especially for MDF

If it were me I think I would epoxy a threaded insert in the MDF and use a machine bolt. I think the epoxy will "become one" with the MDF. Particle board,mdf, even some plywood if you can't get enough threads on the fat part of the screw it's not a question of "if" but when. IMHO