Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epic Meber Holz SR-DS 500 Bandsaw?

Epic Meber Holz SR-DS 500 Bandsaw?

I have an opportunity to buy a Epic/Meber/Holz SR-DS 500 bandsaw for about $1200. I think it is actually a Meber saw that is a subsidary of Holz.

Any opinions on this saw? It is a big beefy Italian saw from what I can tell, just not a common brand. Should be about 10 years old or so, so purchased between 2000 to 2002 range.

Any idea is parts, especially tires are still available?

It appears to be a 500 mm saw or ~19-20" with a 2 HP motor. Italian made from what I can tell.

I'm going to go see it tomorrow. The table is rusty since it has been in storage, but otherwise looks good.

Thanks for any input.

Brad, Meber are high quality saws. Holz more than likely just branded it under their own name, which is a pretty common practice in the bandsaw industry. I am not aware of any parts dealers for Meber here in the US but that being said, unless it is a major structural component that needs replacing or is missing, the wearables (bearings, tires, electrics) are pretty easy to find among other US distributors. Any 20" poly tires ought to work, if there is that need. The only potential issue I can see is that you might be disappointed with the resawing power. That motor is small and probably 50Hz, to boot. Obviously, that is going to be your call on whether or not it's an issue.

Hope this helps and best of luck,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Thanks Erik for the info.

I totally forgot that some import bandsaws have the 50 Hz motors, so they have reduced speed correct?

I know 5 HP is ideal, but would a 2 HP 50 Hz motor impact resaw capabilities significantly?

My old Grizzly 18" bandsaw that I had before I moved had a 3 HP motor and the only time I bogged it down was with a 12" piece of bubinga that was binding up the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Olson View Post
    ...I totally forgot that some import bandsaws have the 50 Hz motors, so they have reduced speed correct?...
    If an individual bought a European saw and imported it himself, it would likely have a 50 Hz motor. But if Holz-Her imported it, they'd likely have changed the motor to 60 Hz.

I have a meber 500, 3hp, sold under the meber name, it's a fine saw that IMO rivals any of the Italian saws of that era, mine is about 10 years old, I bought it second hand but it had never been used. The table tilt is not the most convienent thing ever but it works well enough, otherwise it's a well designed machine with good guides, soft start, the frame is very stout, good tool. Mine resaws fine up to its 12 3/8" capacity, you don't need 5hp to resaw 12"'s. I think there is still a us distributor down south somewhere, I'll check my links when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    If an individual bought a European saw and imported it himself, it would likely have a 50 Hz motor. But if Holz-Her imported it, they'd likely have changed the motor to 60 Hz.
    Holz was an importer of mostly Italian-made woodworking machinery in northern NJ. Separate entity from Holz-Her.

They've been gone for some years now.

Thanks Peter. Any info you might have would be really useful. I'll know more about the saw when I kick its tires this evening.

To clarify, I think Holz was somehow a label of Rudolph Bass Inc. Their contact info: http://www.rudolfbassinc.net/contact.html

I bought a (Univers) stock feeder from them years ago that I've long since sold. All their machines were top quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Olson View Post
    Thanks Erik for the info.

I totally forgot that some import bandsaws have the 50 Hz motors, so they have reduced speed correct?

I know 5 HP is ideal, but would a 2 HP 50 Hz motor impact resaw capabilities significantly?

My old Grizzly 18" bandsaw that I had before I moved had a 3 HP motor and the only time I bogged it down was with a 12" piece of bubinga that was binding up the blade.
    Actually the saw will have a faster than normal speed when run at 60 Hz. (The motor will run at 120% of rated speed)...........Rod.

Can't help you with your specific saw, but I don't have much trouble re-sawing on my Delta 20" with a 2hp motor. Granted I don't often re-saw 12" hardwoods, but I do a lot of 4" - 6" maple and oak and with a sharp blade cuts like butter! I think 5 hp might be headed towards the extreme side for a saw that size, but if you find it underpowered a 3 may be a good solution?

On the other hand I've never been afraid of having a little extra power

good luck,
    JeffD

I can't find the link I though I had, and a search has turned up nothing. But meber does have a web site (member.com) and I believe you can order parts there. If the SR-500 doesn't work out, you might consider somethings like this......http://www.meber.com/E_Speciali.asp. It has a 42" resaw height, that should suffice for most boards you will use. Of course you will then need a larger jointer and a very big planer, probably a wide belt too.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 10-11-2012 at 8:36 PM.

So I'm a bit bummed.

The bandsaw has been stored in an unsealed shed for about 2 years and is in pretty rough shape. It has mud daubers and mice nests in it. It is also pretty rusty.

It runs ok, but the magnetic contactor is bad, so it is running of a regular switch at the moment. It is a 3 HP 60 Hz motor.

It probably needs new bearings and tires. I told the owner that I'd be hard pressed to pay $800.

It is essentially equivalent to a Hammer N1440.

Here is the calculation I did:

Hammer N1440 is $1995, $2200 to my door.

-40% for greater than 10 year old, limited parts availability.

=$1320

New magnetic contactor, $300

=$1000

Deduct for rough condition 20% (labor for bearings, rust removal, cleaning, tuning etc.)

=$800

They didn't go for this, but are going to consider it. I suspect they think they have a rare gem in their barn, despite its condition.

Given the condition, I'm tempted to just continue to proceed on a Laguna LT18 3000 quote I have for saw, drift master fence, mobility kit, resaw king blade and 4 regular blades to my door for $2800. Yes, its more expensive, but I'm cutting perfectly right off the bat rather tan rehabbing an older saw.

Not disagreeing with your decision but the Meber is more saw than the Hammer and at least close if not equal to the LT 18 3000 in build strength. Mag contactors are easy to find on ebay for a fraction of new and other than bearings and tires there is little that age affects on bandsaws. $800 is about right but will get you a way better saw when fixed up for the money. Dave

I paid $1000 for my SCM 600 .. In the USA, I would have over paid but in western Canada, they are not common at all ..

Mine needed a major re-fit including bearings, switches, motor.. belts, paint .. Yikes..

The restoration took me some months, but it was a really cool experience and I am glad I did it ..

I put a 5hp Baldor motor on the saw and find it to be quite over powered.. I have resawn 10" Afromosia, 12" Maple .. 12" Sapelli .. Nothing even made the motor hesitate ..

If I ever need a 5hp motor, I will buy a 3hp and swap it out on the bandsaw ..

I would probably buy the meber for $800 .. it sounds fair.. A mag starter is $100 .. all the parts are cheap except the guides.. If they can be rebuilt, good.. if not, price them out ..

I agree. At $800 doing a rebuild would be fine. I have done a grizzly previously. It is more that they wanted $1200, and at that price I'm less interested in rebuilding a saw, when I can have equivalent function for not much more and much less headache.

We will see, they are going to give it a few days.