Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions for SawStop owners

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Natalie View Post
    They give you two inserts with the kit. One is uncut, and the other has a kerf coming from the back to accomodate the riving knife. Your blade had better be wider than the knife anyhow, so the extra kerf on the outfeed really isn't an issue.
    The inserts that I got with mine all had cutouts in the back end for the blade guard. I have an overarm guard, so when I cut out for the riving knife, it left the insert with a sloppy fit because it was essentially a very long "U" shape with the back end open. A blank insert with closed back end would be perfect.
    JR

I think you have one of the earlier ones. Looking at some pictures, it looks like there were some that have a much wider slot for the riving knife (and it even routed out more of the melamine that the thing is faced with). The one I got recently just looks like a simple thin cut from the back side.

While I haven't tried to make one yet, the procedure for cutting your own seems pretty straight forward. Once you thickness whatever you're using to 1/4", you just cut three sides to he 11 degree or whatever it is angle and then round off the last one to match the edge of the insert.