Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snap lock Duck?

Snap lock Duck?

I was just wondering if anyone has used the 26 ga. snap lock duck work in there dust collection system. I am working with a local duct work company and they are recommending it for my Oneida pro 2000 5 hp. system to use. What are your thoughts? Also would you have to tape/seal all the snap lock joints or just where they are connected to each other on the ends for air loss?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    26 ga snaplock duct works fine, don't go with the thinner 30 ga though, it will collapse. Use aluminum tape on the longitudinal and end to end joints. Run a thin bead of clear silicone along each joint in the bends. Even along the floor, it resists dents and dings, but I wouldn't want to step on it with my full weight.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tall&highlight=
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 10-13-2012 at 11:13 AM.

I have built my DC system with 26g snap duct. As with Ole, I used aluminum tape and the duct mastic to seal it up (which is a little easier).

However, be careful. The short 2 foot lengths seem to work fine. One longer six foot length did collapse but I'm replacing it with the shorter pieces that are more rigid.

Blog Entries
    Ron, I used the 5 foor pieces with no problem, are you sure that one piece that collapsed was 26 gauge? What DC are you using?

Snap lock works fine but spiral is better. The cost of pipe is pretty low in comparison to the fittings. Just don't use regular HVAC fittings rather than large radius DC fittings. Dave

I used the snap lock on my system with no problems. I did make hangers for the duct work that had to be slid over the duct just to make sure it didn't collapse. Couldn't tell you what gauge it is as I just pulled it off the shelf at the borg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Natalie View Post
    I have built my DC system with 26g snap duct. As with Ole, I used aluminum tape and the duct mastic to seal it up (which is a little easier).

However, be careful. The short 2 foot lengths seem to work fine. One longer six foot length did collapse but I'm replacing it with the shorter pieces that are more rigid.

I would be interested as well with what size dust collector you have and what size/diameter duct collapsed. Mine is a 5 hp and some of the pipe would be 6’’?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard, if 6" is the largest pipe you are not utilizing the full 5 hp capability of the impeller. The Oneida BI impeller won't collapse 24 or 26 gauge pipe and a 7" main will give you much better flow at even the smaller ports due to decreased resistance. Dave

David the main is an 8'' duct off of the Oneida with 6'' coming off of the 8'' duct as you get to the end of the runs and to the machines.Then some 4'' flex to the machines.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Snap lock works fine but spiral is better.
    Hmm. What brings you to say that? Spiral is considerably more expensive, but is it really better for the use intended?
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 10-13-2012 at 6:08 PM.

Richard, sounds right for your system. Ole, I don't think spiral is any better for conveying the air, but it is more dent resistant- I am clumsy at banging stuff even 9' high. I didn't find it that expensive from the local HVAC guy and the larger stuff was left over from prior jobs and cheaper than new snap lock. Dave

Speaking as a retired sheet metal worker that has worked with spiral pipe and snap lock pipe for over 30 years I plan to make my dust collection system using snap lock pipe. The reason is, that spiral pipe leaks at the joints and needs to be sealed as does snap lock pipe. The straight seam of the snap lock pipe is a lot easier to seal in my opinion. I have seen smoke tests of spiral pipe that leaked badly.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Perhaps not. I assumed that it was the same gauge as the shorter pieces but I could be wrong. I have a grizzly 2HP cyclone. This longer piece doesn't have any intermediate crimps or beads in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    Speaking as a retired sheet metal worker that has worked with spiral pipe and snap lock pipe for over 30 years I plan to make my dust collection system using snap lock pipe. The reason is, that spiral pipe leaks at the joints and needs to be sealed as does snap lock pipe. The straight seam of the snap lock pipe is a lot easier to seal in my opinion. I have seen smoke tests of spiral pipe that leaked badly.

Jim being you have 30 years in sheet metal work how would you recommend sealing the snap lock pipe?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have this system in my shop and it has been without a doubt, the best investment in dust collection. Period. Yes, it costs a lot of money! I spent more money for all the duct than I did for the dust collector but you know what? I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. I got it from Grizzly, and I think it's called Norfab. I bitched about the price but I paid it one time and now it's done. If I want to move things around, I just lift the tab and the snap ring come right off. It really does work like they say it does. If you want, write me back and I'll send you pictures of my system.
    Cheap stuff works but you have to fiddle with it. This stuff works right out of the box. First time, done and done right. Can't say enough good about it. However, you do need a pretty thick wallet. But, you only pay it once!
    Good luck!
    You are seldom disappointed when you buy the best!
    Ted