Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip to New York

A big thank-you to everyone for taking the time to reply The holiday was planned at short notice and we only decided to visit New York last week

Further I would like to purchase a diamond lapping plate from http://theperfectedge.com/ DIA-Flat Lapping Plate

They have both the 120 micron and 95 micron plates in stock for $159

The cost of the plate in the United kingdom is £199 or $320

Hence the reason why I plan to purchase the plate while I am in the United States

I plan to have the plate delivered to my hotel. Can anyone advise of this is possible

regards Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Eat at The Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station. The station itself is an architectural icon, and the food at the Oyster Bar is second to none, if you like fresh oysters, etc. Perfect for lunch...subways all lead to Grand Central Station.
    The Oyster Bar is indeed cool (especially the saloon) but the food has slipped a lot over the years. Wouldn't recommend it for anything other than just oysters and a drink.

Shouldn't be any trouble having the concierge receive a package at your hotel. Just get a tracking number from the shipper.

Blog Entries
    Ditto on Blue Man Group. Those guys are hilarious. Take ear protection.

If you want respite from the noise of the city and the weather is good, go north to Fort Tryon Park. It's a gorgeous park and there is this great (but pricey) restaurant there http://www.newleafrestaurant.com Called the New Leaf. This place us run by a foundation sponsored by Bette Midler to clean up the Harlem River. Midler likes to joke that by the time she came along all the good charities were gone and she got garbage.

If you want to do a woodworky thing, maybe you can get a tour through the Steinway piano factory. There are some amazing craftsman there.

Call your credit card issuer and the company in question.

If you let them know your intention, in advance, it should be simple.

Blog Entries
    If, by chance, your kids are totally into Lady Gaga, her father owns Joanne Trattoria at 70 West 68th Street. It's an upscale pizza place. Google it first to see if it's in the budget.

If I were going, I would be loading up on Broadway tickets but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    They have both the 120 micron and 95 micron plates in stock for $159

The cost of the plate in the United kingdom is £199 or $320
    With a price differential like that, buy a bunch of them and sell the extras when you get home

Blog Entries

Took this picture this morning. Hudson River Valley at it's best. An hour on the train
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a trip up to DIA Beacon. The ride up the Hudson Line from Grand Central is as awesome as the museum is cool. Fall colors should be happening soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a trip up to DIA Beacon. The ride up the Hudson Line from Grand Central is as awesome as the museum is cool. Fall colors should be happening soon too.
    That was a Nabisco package printing plant when I was a kid in Beacon. I applied for a job there when I was 14 and first got my working papers. Beacon in general is quite nice these days. There are a lot of crafty type businesses there. When I moved there in the 70's many of these buildings were abandoned or should have been. I'm one stop south in Cold Spring.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Wow! John that's real nice, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk View Post
    Took this picture this morning. Hudson River Valley at it's best. An hour on the train

You could go see my parents. They live north of Central Park a couple miles. Actually, I recommend going to Central Park and be sure to look at Cleopatra's needle. Also the ferry ride is neat. And just walking around and people watching is fun.
    David