Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching a Rail and stile profile

Matching a Rail and stile profile

Ive been looking all around to try and find a matching profile for a rail and stile for a door. these are the only pictures i have. does anyone have any idea what this profile is called or where to find it??
    Also any idea what type of wood or stain is used? i believe its maple.. but im not 100% sure
    thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't help on the profile, but my cabinets are pretty close to this finish and they are a stained maple.

If it is a cove on a bead then I think it is called classical. I have one but can't rind a name or number on it and don't remember where I got it. I has been a couple of yeras but I might still have the paperwork.

Before you go through a big effort to match the profile, work on matching the stain. In my experience, that's a much bigger problem. The eye is very good at seeing color differences, so if the new work is near the existing work, you're going to have to get the stain to match very well. You can probably fudge a bit on the profile, but fudging the color will be much more obvious.

The wood does look like maple, for what little help that's going to be.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 10-14-2012 at 5:19 PM.

Mike....my old eyes have trouble seeing the form but you might try here: http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ter_bits1.html

I have been using their Katana bits and have been quite pleased with the bit and the company's service.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mike, I'm not sure if you have a router table or a shaper but here is a website and I'm sure there are more out there. You just send in a profile of the cutter you want made and they do it. http://freeborntool.com/customtooling.html

Around here, a lot of cabinetmakers have their doors made by someone else.
    I would suggest that you look in the phone book for a local company that makes cabinet doors, and ask them if they made that door.
    You might also look online at some of the bigger door companies to see if it's one of theirs.
    On the rare occasions when I've been asked to match a cabinet door, I've been able to locate and get them made by the local companies that made the originals.
    Rick

Thanks for all the input so far.
    I have both a shaper and router table so any cutters will be fine.
    These cabinet doors are from a new home that a client is wanting me to try and match the best we can. (advised that i may not be able to match perfect) but the problem is the client is about 100miles away from my location and with the cost of gas prices out here in so cal. i dont want to make a special trip to double check the profile.

Can't really tell from the pics, but it looks like a cove & bead profile. You should be able to find something similar, but I'm guesin' the door edge profile will be even tougher to match. Depends on how close a match you are hoping for. I've never priced custom router bits, but I suppose that's an option. Probably spendy & a limited life span.
    Your best bet is an insert shaper cutter head & custom steel knives. If that's not an option, find someone with a shaper & cutter block & buy the knives for them & have them make the stiles & rails for you. Heck, there's probably someone on this forum that would help you out.
    The cabinet pictured is hard maple. Matching those finishes is a challenge. I've gotten "close" but never perfect. I use dyes, stains, & toners, & "creep up" on the finish, but that's a whole other discussion best suited for the Finishing forum. Good Luck!

It is pretty common for cabinet companies to develop one-off profiles so that no one else can easily copy their styles. To me, that looks like a custom profile that I have not seen before. For catalog profiles, I have never seen any company with more options that Nordic (http://www.nordicsaw.com/). Good luck indeed with color and profile.
    JR

Does it look like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Dear God, my prayer for 2018 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last four years."

I'm thinking that it looks something like this. Though with a tiny cove on the inside to make the round look more like a bead - I only noticed this after I posted the drawing.

Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 10-15-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    JR

I think JR's looks pretty close....but I wouldn't want to bet a job on it

Have them send you a door, much easier than driving, and if you can't find the profile have the knives made....assuming they're willing to pay the price of course! Your going to need the door regardless if your going to try and match the finish. I would not even consider trying to match a finish based on a pic, even with a door in your shop it's going to be tricky to get a perfect match to a factory finish...BTDT

good luck,
    JeffD

Jr,
    im thinking that's it as well. where did you find that profile at? i have been searching all over the net

thanks

I just drew it . . . Sorry. If they could send you a small drawer face or something, you could easily (but not inexpensively) get a custom set made.
    JR