Thread: outside furniture painted

outside furniture painted

I am planning to build drawers box to keep BGE' accessories outside closer to my Big Green Egg. Would like to paint it dark green color. If I will build it from poplar and will cover with paint - how long it will survive in outside?
    Do I need to use other wood? White Oak? Ash?
    How to paint? SHould I spray shellac first in outside/inside boxes and paint with green paint outside ? What paint better to use?

Please help me
    Eduard

See recent posts about Adirondack chairs.Putting a couple of degrees of slope on the top surface ,gluing down some light canvas ,then painting will make it last as long as you want it to last. Old process used on porches, boats, etc.

Mel, thank you for reply. I did a search for outdoor furniture stain/paint. Most of the advices for preservation color of wood and preventing decoy. My goal - wood cover with dark green color ( probably latex).
    Question was about what wood to use, does it may a difference because latex paint over it. I am not planning to paint inside of it, do I need to cover with shellac?
    And additional question - is latex compatible with shellac? ( I think it is).

Eduard.

If you paint it and either elevate the bottom or chemically treat the bottom I don't think what kind of wood is going to matter much on the vertical surfaces.On the horizontal surfaces the painted canvas is extremely durable. Think I would paint under the lid too,unless you think it won't stand residual heat when cooking is done. Some kind of insulation,maybe?