Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting tenons on long parts.

Tenoner. It's what it's made for.

Kirk

10 minutes per tenon with hand saws is hardly suitable for a production environment, as posited by the OP.

If the proposed production numbers are high enough to justify the added expense of a new machine and the setup time, then Kirk's right that a tenoner fits the bill perfectly. Without one, I like a sliding table saw with a dado head: One setup is all you need and a good dado set cuts very cleanly. I've never tried a shaper with sliding table, but I'm willing to be convinced there, too. You'd need deep cutters for bigger stuff, of course.

Yes, please share: what does 'production' mean?

Quantity? Cycle time? Equipment budget? Router fixtures aren't quite production either

If you want tenons fast, there are plenty of ways to do it. In my opinion they all cut both sides referencing the show face of the board.

Shaper with two discs, board facing down

Table saw with tenon jig with two blades, spaced apart

Table saw with tenon jig with accurately thicknessed board inserted for one cut, removed for the other

Band saw, accurately thicknessed board inserted for one cut, removed for the other

They can all be set up so that the tenon thickness fits just right in the hole. Then a little work with a table saw, hand saw and/or sharp chisel, and it's done. I really do not like messing around with a shoulder plane trying to get each tenon to fit in the hole. Life is too short.

For a production, I'd use a table saw w/dado bit to hog away most of the wood and finish with the router jig, especially if there's much to remove.

If it had been a single table, I'd use a back saw.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    I've never tried a shaper with sliding table, but I'm willing to be convinced there, too. You'd need deep cutters for bigger stuff, of course.
    Check the video from this thread.

At 3:44 you see a Parveau mortiser in action.
    At 7:05 you see tenoning with shaper.

Looks pretty efficient to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post

Quantity? Cycle time? Equipment budget? Router fixtures aren't quite production either
    I think this is the key question. Plus there are also quality and size constraints. Tablesaw jigs hold the piece vertically may have issues with overhead obstructions, not to mention keeping very heavy pieces vertical. Shapers have tenon length limits. Tenoners, in my experience, can be easier to set up than others and can make more specialized cuts (copes, etc), but they're sitting there taking up space all the time.

I have some oddball tenon requirements with low rate production (dozens of tenons at a time, not ones or hundreds), and tried hand, bandsaw + RAS, tablesaw + jig, and finally shaper + jig before going to a tenoner. For me, the latter was the winner in production time, quality, and consistency, and second only to hand cutting in setup time.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post

I take "production", or "a production environment", to mean a commercial operation where time is money (that is, not a hobby shop), and, usually but perhaps not exclusively, multiples rather than one or two offs. The number of workers probably isn't critical to the understanding since a one person shop could qualify if the craftsman needs to get the work out the door in a timely fashion in order to make a living.

Kirk, what tenoner do you have? My objection to table saw with tenon jig is that you need another setup and two more passes to cut the shoulders, and there's the awkwardness with long stock that you mentioned. I think a table saw with dado set is faster to set up than any tenoner I've used, but once set up a two-head tenoner is unmatched in speed of finished cut.

Thanks for the link, George.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 10-22-2012 at 7:16 PM.

You say this is a production environment.. I assume this means you do this task often?
    Can you domino these? It would be a heck of a lot faster. If you are doing this task often, the domino would pay for itself in time saved pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Kirk, what tenoner do you have? My objection to table saw with tenon jig is that you need another setup and two more passes to cut the shoulders, and there's the awkwardness with long stock that you mentioned. I think a table saw with dado set is faster to set up than any tenoner I've used, but once set up a two-head tenoner is unmatched in speed of finished cut.

Thanks for the link, George.
    Frank:

I have a Levi Houston tenoner, circa 1880. It's a restored flat belt, babbitt bearing, sliding table machine, and other than adding a 5 hp motor it's pretty much original. I do low-number production work in my home shop. In fact I was using it tonight. I ran 96 tenons in about an hour, including setup time and rerunning about 20 tenons (I'd forgotten to tighten down part of the table adjustment after the setup).

Kirk
    Attached Images Attached Images

One of best I've seen. I can here the belts clacking.

Other then clearance issues with the ceiling that I dont have I would suggest using a tenoning jig. I just made a 5 foot walnut table yesterday and did the aprons that were 1 inch thick on the tabs saw with the jig and it worked perfect and fast. As far as everyone saying use a stacked dado I often think I must be doing something wrong. I made tenons for years that way and never could get consistent tenons. It always seemed like how hard I was pushing down or the speed of which I pushed it through changed the thickness. Plus even though I have a pretty nice Freud dado stack that leaves a pretty flat bottom there is no comparison to how clean the tenons come out with a tenoning jig compared to a dado stack.

Very nice! Thanks for the picture, Kirk.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Handsaw, 10 minutes and it would be done. Why complicate things.
    Me too - quicker than power unless you have a ton of them to do.

Router set up a jig and go to town. I had to do a lot of bead board with tenons on the end. Set up a fence on the table with a jig, since you need to take them off in a smaller increments since its not a shaper. worked like a charm and the cheeks are nice and clean.