Thread: TS trunnion and gearing- alternative lubricants?

TS trunnion and gearing- alternative lubricants?

What do you folks suggest for lubrication of the various moving parts of a
    tilting arbor saw so that the exposed parts will not attract dust and form a nasty oil-sawdust sludge?

Maybe just periodically cleaning by brushing/blowing out and oiling the moving parts is a good strategy.

Owners manuals generally specify grease on the trunnion slides and worm/sector gearing. But I've been thinking that perhaps there might be a better solution that is less attractive to dust.

Some options I've thought of are wax, or synthetic grease or oil (teflon based), or graphite compounds. I sprayed lubriplate on my powermatic trunnion and it doesn't seem to attract dust, but I don't no how lubricious it is.

Maybe I just shouldn't worry about it, but I have the top of a saw that I am
    restoring (SCMI slider) and will need to be lubing it soon.

Awhile back Wood Magazine posted a new lube that they really liked. It is called Pro gold, it is used by bicycle enthiusiasts. I have not tried but I did print off the info. They can be found at www.progoldmfr.com

Tri-Flow or White Lightning.
    Found at bicycle shops.
    Does not attract dust.
    They use it on bike chains and sprockets.
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Like you, I've been concerned about sawdust/oil sludge, so I use a little wax. Whenever the knobs get hard to turn, I use an old toothbrush to clean out the gears, and then use the same toothbrush to wipe in a little paste wax.

I used to use Remington Dri-Lube. Now I use a similar product called Super Lube. It's a "dry" lube, spray aerosol with I think a teflon base. Whatever it is, it doesn't pick up any dust, and works great.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

Everything you every need to know about lubing your saw guts...

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/FAQ/TableSawTune.pdf

Jist of the article... Paste wax, cheap and works great

Try Tungsten Disulphide. Its a very long lasting hard wearing lubricant.