Thread: Craftsman 12" miter saw 21239

Craftsman 12" miter saw 21239

Was at Sears today and shopping for a miter saw. Ran across the Craftsman 12" sliding miter saw, model 21239, and really liked the features of it for its $300 price. Felt solidly built, and the adjustments all made sense, seemed easy to read, easy to use with knobs in easy to reach locations. 15 amp motor, adjustable fence, wing supports for long boards with stops built in. The stops feel a little wobbly, but all in all, looks like a solid saw.

Now, what do I need to know about it that AIN'T so good??

If the stops(and I assume the miter stops) seem wobbly then you are going to get inaccurate miters. I have a 10" Craftsman miter saw that I still haven't got to cut square. It is good for rough cuts only. I haven't used it in years. I'm not a Craftsman fan.

Good saw with repeatable results. Just watch the screws marked in red. If they work loose the plastic blade guard will EXPLODE.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Save your money.
    I don't buy C'man anymore.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

It's the stops on the extension wings, not the detent stops.

Ditto, will not buy craftsman anymore.
    Cutting rough stock lumber is like scrambling an egg, there is no going back

You guys who say not to buy Craftsman, can you site specifics as to why not?? $300 is a chunk of cash to me so I'd like to know for sure it is the right saw or not, but on the same note, I need a slider saw and really can't swing more for one. Bosch was really nice but is also $750, and some of the rest are $500 or more.
    Last edited by Duane Bledsoe; 10-16-2012 at 10:49 PM.