Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This looks handy (saw files from LV)

This looks handy (saw files from LV)

Saw this on the "whats new" page at LV - looks handy; I've made most of my own tool rolls, but never got around to making one for the saw files. Nice to have 'em all in one place, and I've had good luck with the swiss Grobet files.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...54&cat=51&ap=1
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Sweet! I'm really glad to see they are carrying some files that are higher quality than the Nicholsons. I would really like to get that roll/set, but I hope they will sell the Grobets al la cart as well. I just used a Grobet for the first time a couple weeks ago, I could not believe how much easier/better it was to use then the BORG Nicholson's i had used previously. It was noticeably easier to get consistent results.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 10-15-2012 at 4:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Sweet! I'm really glad to see they are carrying some files that are higher quality than the Nicholsons. I would really like to get that roll/set, but I hope they will sell the Grobets al la cart as well. I just used a Grobet for the first time a few weeks ago, I could not believe how much easier/better it was to use then the BORG Nicholson's i had used previously. It was noticeably easier to get consistent results.
    Hi -

Yes, we'll eventually have the singles up too... it was hard to get enough files out of Grobet to do the sets....! I think we hoovered up most of their stock....

Cheers -

Rob
    (who knows "hoovered" isn't a verb...but likes it anyway)

Dang Rob, that was fast! Thanks, for letting us know.

I got them from TFWW most recently but its nice to have a couple places to get things like this since they are usually the kind of thing I like to throw in the cart when I'm ordering something else.

Also, I just noticed that TFWW is now selling Grobets by the dozen (maybe that's old news but I never noticed it until now).

Looks like your not the only one guilty of hoovering Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Dang Rob, that was fast! Thanks, for letting us know.

I got them from TFWW most recently but its nice to have a couple places to get things like this since they are usually the kind of thing I like to throw in the cart when I'm ordering something else.

Also, I just noticed that TFWW is now selling Grobets by the dozen (maybe that's old news but I never noticed it until now).

Looks like your not the only one guilty of hoovering Rob!
    Hi Chris,

The singles should actually follow soonish... we do have 'em, just didn't want to list them first, and then have the sets come out as a promo afterwards....

Dozens, eh?

Maybe we'll price by the gross....

Cheers -

Rob

Rob, maybe you could do discounts for multiple sets. Never can tell where you'll need to sharpen saws. Just kidding, great deal, as usual.

Rob, it's nice to see you carrying the Grobet files. I can see why you mention the brand name specifically here, for folks that have been burned by bad files before, it's nice to know what you're getting. Any insight as to why some of the products LV carries don't mention the manufacturer?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Rob, it's nice to see you carrying the Grobet files. I can see why you mention the brand name specifically here, for folks that have been burned by bad files before, it's nice to know what you're getting. Any insight as to why some of the products LV carries don't mention the manufacturer?
    Hi -

We mention it when it's a known brand, and is relevant to your purchasing decision. It also help for searching the website.

Other suppliers may be confidential - we spend literally thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars sourcing each year.... we don't want to just give that information away.

I'd like to think that our service/support exceeds what you'll get from most manufacturers anyway....

Cheers -

Rob

Ordered! Came to $47.45 USD shipped. So that's about $6.75 per file shipped which is about what it would cost elsewhere sans tool roll (which I'm counting as "free").

Good deal. Thanks Rob!

And thank you Joshua for pointing this out!
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 10-15-2012 at 5:55 PM.

Fair enough, Rob. Just curious, really. Certainly never expected every widget and flashlight to have a manufacturer listed. Your "relevant to your purchasing decision" part is right on the money - I just know there's been at least once where I felt like knowing the manufacturer would have influenced my decision, but it wasn't listed. (A case of "brand x" being recommended to me as the one to get, and then not finding out until after the fact that "brand x" was actually the brand you guys sold.)

Certainly hope my post didn't sound antagonistic. And of course, given the support I've gotten from you guys over the years, I have no fear of ordering from you folks, you've always done me right.

(snip)Certainly hope my post didn't sound antagonistic. (snip)
    Hi Joshua -

Nope - not at all - it was a good question!

Cheers -

Rob

Blog Entries
    Very timely - just getting ready to file my first saw! Placed my order today.

Bit the bullet and ordered a set - needed a couple of other bits for the tool cabinet. Be nice to have a decent selection of Grobets kicking around. I remember when I first used a Grobet after having used a cheap import Nicholson on rip saw I was sharpening, and finding that no, you don't need to use up all three sides of a file sharpening one saw.

Bit the bullet and ordered a set - needed a couple of other bits for the tool cabinet. Be nice to have a decent selection of Grobets kicking around. I remember when I first used a Grobet after having used a cheap import Nicholson on rip saw I was sharpening, and finding that no, you don't need to use up all three sides of a file sharpening one saw.
    Good for you Joshua! Did you throw in the needle file and the bastard file too? I was feeling parsimonious so I didn't, guess I'll just throw them in next time I place an order.

A few months ago I did a touch up on my LN carcass saw with a Nicholson. The 1095 steel damaged the edges almost immediately - I was still able to finish the saw, but there was visible wear on the file corners after just a few strokes and all 3 sides were shot by the time I finished. I have not had as big of a problem with the Nicholson on the older saws, but after using a Grobet for the first time on my recent saw build I just can't get over how much better they are. True, it was a new plate so there wasn't a lot of heavy filing to do, but the edge I filed with didn't feel like it has dulled at all which was pretty impressive (and actually I wasn't happy with my initial results so I filed it a second time). I like the idea that I'll get a number uses out the Grobets - I hate using something once and just throwing it away, plus these will be MUCH more cost effective in the long run. Despite all the stuff I had read about these (and Simmonds) files being better, not to mention George's tests showing that Nicholsons are soft, I guess I never really believed how different two files could be until I experienced myself.

I was talking to Dave (Weaver) a few days ago about this and he told me about set of needle files he has from about 1900 that he got from George - said the edges were better then even the best files today. Clearly they weren't made to be used just once and thrown away.

I passed on those two for now - I'm pretty sure I have the needle file from TFWW, (although I should have checked, but I've got enough needle files of some sort of another kicking around I think I'll be okay if the 4XX doesn't work on my dovetail saw) and I've got a handful of older US Nicholson flat files kicking around for jointing.

I've got to make some time to sharpen soon, I guess. My rip saw is feeling a little sluggish, I've got two panel saws I never rehabbed, and at least one saw I want to sharpen to sell.