Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This looks handy (saw files from LV)

I bit the bullet too. Got the set and the 2 others. It will be time saved to have it all in one place. I also don't have time to hunt down good used or NOS files.
    Gary

Got my files/file roll today. Man one of the the best parts about having moved from NOLA to Philly is that it takes half as long to get my orders from LV. I'm used to waiting 5-7 business days and now its 2-3, very nice.

Anyway, I really like the role. It's nice thick canvass and fits the files well. Definitely, preferable to having them just sitting in a plastic tool box tray or wrapped in a piece of old t-shirt. I like that it has some extra pockets and even wish it had a few more - though I'll say the extras it has are for the files I use the most. I didn't realize it when I ordered it but the pockets are actually labeled (screen print) for there file size...for some reason when I looked at the picture I thought the labels were just part of the add.

Anyway, I'm quite happy I ordered this - I had a moment of buyers remorse when I first ordered it just because I don't typically like ordering sets of things like this (as I end up with sizes I may not use), but now that I've got it I'm quite glad I did. Really, even the sizes I rarely use will likely have a need for at some point so it'll be good to already have one when I need it.

Just one of those little things that will be handy to have around.

Hi Chris -

Glad you like it. Had the pockets labelled for those of us who have a hard time reading the fine print on files...

Bought a set myself!

Cheers -

Rob
    (whose PC "blew up" today, and is waiting for a rebuild... )

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Chris -

Glad you like it. Had the pockets labelled for those of us who have a hard time reading the fine print on files...

Bought a set myself!

Cheers -

Rob
    (whose PC "blew up" today, and is waiting for a rebuild... )
    Well I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. The labels are definitely a nice touch. These files beg the question though... Is LV ramping up to release some new items to use them on?
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 10-18-2012 at 6:15 PM.

Mine are on the way too. I had to get my order in before all you guys scooped up all the inventory. Of course, I had to add in a couple planes and a bunch of other stuff for good measure while I was at it. I wonder if Rob has a paycheck direct deposit program...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Well I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. The labels are definitely a nice touch. These files beg the question though... Is LV ramping up to release some new items to use them on?
    Hi again Chris!

More like ramping up to release something to use them with...
    Our saw filing guide ran a bit later than planned, and we had to let the files out solo....

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Mine are on the way too. I had to get my order in before all you guys scooped up all the inventory. Of course, I had to add in a couple planes and a bunch of other stuff for good measure while I was at it. I wonder if Rob has a paycheck direct deposit program...
    Thanks Ryan!

We'll take a look at that direct deposit suggestion.....

Cheers,

Rob

now rob, when are you going to make a tool roll like that for all the plow plane blades and t&g blades?
    i though i remember you saying something about it once before. sorry for the hijack

Waiting for the UPS man to show up today . . .

Adam - have a go at making your own! I've made quite a few out of canvas duck cloth or leather, and it's a fairly easy proposition, particularly for something like plow plane blades, where you don't need to account for handles. (Adding handles to the mix ends up making things a little more difficult, as to roll it up, you usually end up needing to make it extra large, or allow the handles to go in from each side, and you need adequate flaps to cover things after it's rolled up.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Lewis View Post
    now rob, when are you going to make a tool roll like that for all the plow plane blades and t&g blades?
    i though i remember you saying something about it once before. sorry for the hijack
    Hi Adam,

Approved the sample at the R&D meeting yesterday, and gave a wooden box the go ahead too...

Rolls will be in first...

Cheers,

Rob

Got my files/file roll today. ... I really like the roll. It's nice thick canvas and fits the files well...
    Thanks for the report. I just placed my order today.

...I didn't realize it when I ordered it but the pockets are actually labeled (screen print) for their file size...for some reason when I looked at the picture I thought the labels were just part of the ad...
    I was wondering about that too. I finally clicked the little link that pops up a second photo, and saw the text was there too.

...Man one of the the best parts about having moved from NOLA to Philly is that it takes half as long to get my orders from LV. I'm used to waiting 5-7 business days and now its 2-3, very nice...
    That must be nice. It would be much faster for me to drive up to the store in Vancouver, BC than wait for the orders to ship via upstate NY... but 600 miles round-trip would cost a lot of gasoline. I'd have to buy everything in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    If they can work it out as a pre-tax deduction, I'll all for it... Veritas sounds enough like an investment product name that we might be able to get it as part of a 401K program...
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

The way Veritas tools hold their value they darned near are an investment. Now quick everyone go try to tell their wives that ...

14. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Chris,

The singles should actually follow soonish... we do have 'em, just didn't want to list them first, and then have the sets come out as a promo afterwards....

Dozens, eh?

Maybe we'll price by the gross....

Cheers -

Rob
    Hi Rob, shoot me a mail then.
    I buy boxes of ten of the small files, because I live in a metric country...

Grobet (sold under the label of F. Dick in Germany) is a good choice! And to add a needelfile is another good choice.

Esp. for the 20 tpi saws.

Cheers Pedder

Blog Entries
    Mine came today! Very nice set, the printed description on each pocket is a great idea. Maybe it's just me - but I sure don't see the difference between the 6" Slim and X-Slims. Grobet apparently doesn't mark them either.

Cheers,

Mike