Thread: Stickley Design Detail - Copper Inlay

Stickley Design Detail - Copper Inlay

Today I visited a furniture store that sells Stickley, kool stuff!

Have any of you seen the Harvey Ellis cherry pieces with the curly maple drawer fronts?

They have a copper ring that's inlayed into the drawer front, it's located behind the drawer pull.

Anyone know a source for copper inlay such as this?

or

Do I need to get a metal shop to make some....

thanks!

I've not seen it.

What is the diameter and thickness of the ring? What about something like a slice of copper tubing if the size is right?

David

Re: Stickley Design Detail - Copper Inlay

Originally posted by Randy Ferguson
    Have any of you seen the Harvey Ellis cherry pieces with the curly maple drawer fronts?
    The Harvey Ellis stuff is awesome! I remember from my last visit to the local Stickley showroom (right around the corner, bless them...) a sideboard/hutch that really caught my eye. It was not quite as dramatic as Thos Moser's New Century hutch, but along similar lines.

I hope you picked up a copy of the Stickley catalog during your visit for use as a project "idea book"!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There has been much written about Stickly, so finding out exactly how it was done on the originals shouldn't be too much trouble. The modern Stickley company is also a very nice outfit. I bet they'd tell you right over the phone how they do it.

It's my understanding that the most common method used today for narrow copper inlay is to flaten copper wire. Jewlers have wire flateners that they run round stock through to make all sorts of stuff. Trying to cut stips as thin as those used in inlay would obviously be futile.